Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Gun and Ammo, suggestions?
zephir
Posted: September 19, 2007 11:24 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

Group: Members

I have some suggestions for the new game, in my opinion, the current BB has too many unrealistic firearms and weapons, many of which are next to unobtainable or cannot be wielded as portrayed in BB.
For example, the mini gun is an unrealistic weapon. I like it, because it allows me to mass-murder hundreds of zombies, but in reality, not only is it impossible to obtain, it would be impossible to hold. The real mini gun is somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-80 lbs empty, and not only is it heavy, I learned that if you held it and fired it, the recoil will knock you over.
The other is the flamethrower. Last, I checked, the only flamethrowers avalible to most people are homemade ones involving a super soaker or air compressor.

Aside from the super-weapons, many of the guns in BB is impossible. The majority of M16/M4s and AK47s available to normal citizens in the US (or world) is only available in semi-auto. Burst fire and full-auto is considered a machine gun and requires a NFA class 3 permit, and is tightly regulated since 1934 (US). For example, you can walk into a Colorado gunstore and buy an belt-fed M60, but it will be semi-auto only.

I am thinking of some more common weapons, and realistically modeled/coded to act like real weapons, super weapons would be like a .50BMG (you can buy them normally) or like the new S&W 500 magnum.

The other thing is ammo. I remember in many maps, when you raid a gunstore, guns are placed neatly like you would find normally, but the ammo is just a olive-colored ammo can. I think it needs to be more realistic, not only in how the player can pick it up, but also how many cartridges a player can carry.

I went to a range recently and watched other people shoot/rent handguns (they didn't have rifles to rent), and it would be cool if source could have some of the "normal" guns people would have, its unrealistic to have all the players armed with AK47s mowing down zombies. A variety of handguns and civilian rifles is more realistic.

Some guns/weapons that I would like to see in the the game are:

1. Smith&Wesson 500 Magnum (instead of the Deagle)
It hold 5 rounds of 500 magnum, a super-powerful/super recoil handgun
ammo is very hard to obtain, player can only hold 60 cartridges

2. Taurus Judge .410/45 colt
Acts like a handgun-shotgun, a weaker but smaller spread gun that hold 5 rounds
player could only carry 80 cartridges

3. M1 Garand
A popular sporting rifle. Hold 8 rounds and has high accuracy, high recoil. The gun can fire as fast as the trigger is pulled, but has little accuracy at that rate.
player carries 10 clips

4. Semi-auto only M16/AR15
Semi-auto only AKM
30 rd magazines, current characteristics of the guns in BB, but not full auto. Player can fire as fast as the trigger is pulled. AK can whack zombies with butt to move them backwards, much like the ax in BB.

5. "stagecoach-style" 16 gauge shotgun (in place of the sawed-off)
A full-length legal side-by-side shotgun, using 16 ga instead of 12, because it seems 12 ga is actually pretty rare to find.
Has similar damage to the BB sawn off, because it uses smaller cartridges, less recoil, more ammo capacity. Rifle butt as secondary fire.

6. Machete
An axe seems an unlikely weapon, as it is both heavy and hard to use.

7. Mosin-Nagant (or similar surplus bolt-action)
Holds 5/10 rounds, player needs to click to reload gun after each shot.
Reloads thru stripper clips instead of magazines
bayonet/rifle butt as secondary fire.

8. (any maker) SKS
Like the AK, but lighter to carry around, 30 rd magazines, more accurate than AK, but slower rate of fire (ROF). secondary fire to butt the zombie.

9. Ruger 9mm semi-auto
Handgun-like damage, but rapid fire, less recoil of the SKS, less damage, but ammo very avalible and hold 15 rounds

10.Ruger 1022 rifle wooden stock
fires the weak 22lr, although weak damage piles up due to the close grouping of shots. Sorta like the M1 carbine found in DoD. tiny recoil, gun can be fired as quickly as the mouse can be tapped. Magazine holds 50 (seems to be a very popular size)

11.M249 SAW (replacement for the minigun)
Like what you would see in CS:S, fires from a belt of 100-200 cartridges. its heavy weight reduces recoil, but accuracy is an issue at long range.
ammo is same as the M16, to make things easier.

12.FN-five seven
Same gun found in CS1.6, like the 1022, but with more punch, same recoil, 20rd magazine

For course, full-auto guns should still be available, but you'll need to jack it form a police warehouse or similar than a gunstore. Other guns like sw 38 spl, or 357 mag would be found in the gunstore over the police warehouse.

For the guns, ammo would be available in boxes found in gun stores, magazines, or when a player walks over a dead body with ammo. The player would have to find the correct ammo for the gun, as a 9mm cannot fit in a .38 spl, or .223 can't be used in 5.56. The 22lr would be available by the brick, the player holding up to 800 rounds, whereas the 500 s&w is very rare and hard to find, generally in boxes of 10 at a time.
The rifle ammo is also be the box (20), shotgun 25 per box.

And for ammo, in BB, it seems the player can carry very large amounts of ammo, but its unrealistic because some cartridges weight much more than others. For example, 30 cal rifle (100 rds) is equal in weight to 240rds of .223 rem. (according to history channel, anyway). Realistically, the various weapons should divided up into similar ammo groups, like 22 rim fire, 223 rem, 30-06, 7.62, 8mm, 9mm, 45colt/.410, 500 s&w, 16 ga, 12ga. so people using various guns of different ammos has different ammo caps than someone using a gun firing a different caliber.

And the weight to the gun/weapon should be factored into the game when it comes to movement. So someone carrying an M60 shouldn't be able to move as fast as another using the M16. The M1 weighs the same as the SKS, AK, but more than the m16, meaning you move slower than a guy with a m16. The shotguns/handgun weighs less than the M16, and therefore have greater mobility at the loss of ROF.

Overall, I think it would be important to visit several gun stores and ranges to see just what kind of guns are available to the average joe instead of military or police weapons. I visited a range/gunstore recently and I didn't find any AR15s or SKS. they had handguns, but no deagle 357 (like BB) or a sawed-off. They had normal shotguns and rifles, but nothing unusual. Also, in past posts about finding Mac10s in police warehouses, they should be rare. Last time the LAPD (of Los Angels)captured a stockpile of gang weapons, there was rifles and the occasional SKS or sawed off pump, but no full autos. Movies portray the arms thing wrong, its actually very rare to find a huge stockpile of full-auto weapons.
PMEmail Poster
Spartan
Posted: September 20, 2007 02:58 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

You Have alot of free time but i agree with what u said though i know people in Texas can buy full auto machine guns....

--------------------
User Posted Image
Breathe in.....Breathe out and Sqeeze That Trigger. If you miss they kill your freinds your family and parts of your soul.
PMEmail Poster
-=Chris Redfield=-
Posted: September 20, 2007 04:03 am
Quote Post

Baby Slayer

You do realize that this game isn't going for realism, but more for an arcade feel, right? Just thought I'd point that out to you.

--------------------
User Posted Image
(1) I like to beat women. (2) I like to beat babies (3) I like to beat women while beating babies (4). I like to watch women beat their babies...and then I beat the women.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Luciel
Posted: September 20, 2007 10:41 am
Quote Post

Doom Trooper

Group: Moderators

QUOTE (-=Chris Redfield=- @ September 20, 2007 04:03 am)
You do realize that this game isn't going for realism, but more for an arcade feel, right? Just thought I'd point that out to you.

As Chris just said, iīd like to make clear that, as in the original BB, BBS is about fun, with an arcade feel, i mean seriously, we all know a minigun is unlikely, but, itīs fun right? itīs all about killing hordes of zombies in the funnest way possible.

Basically BB and BBS are not about realism, itīs about going online and shooting zombies in as many ways possible, and not have to worry about finding ammo and wether or not should you get X heavy weapon because it slows you down.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mallic
Posted: September 20, 2007 01:58 pm
Quote Post

Penguin Overlord

Group: BB:S Team

even if you buy an ak/m4 on semi auto you can convert it by removing the restraining parts but then it will only be automatic no matter what happy.gif

and a garand would be unrealistic, how many people do you know that own garands? Hell i know if theres a zombie outbreak there is no way in hell id want a garand >_>

and dont fuck with the patented ironoak recipe of fun time success /smack

This post has been edited by mallic on September 20, 2007 02:01 pm

--------------------
User Posted Image
I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me
PMEmail Poster
Lundquist
Posted: September 20, 2007 02:28 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Group: Old BB:S team

mallic, the garrand and modifed version of it were being used all the way up to and during vietnam (although not much further) suprisingly there are still quite a large number of them hanging around in various places. Most of them havent been deactivated.

The garrand would actually form quite a useful zombie killing weapon, its reliable, lightweight, sturdy (relatively) and easy to maintain. It was for these reasons (amongst others) that the garrand was kept in service for so long with the US military. Another useful bonus with the Garrand is that it fires .30-06 caridges which means that the rounds are interchangable with many other rifles that are still some knocking about today, especially hunting rifles.

Of course now the US military standard has changed to 7.62mm and the M14, the the 30.06 still has a special place in the heart of any dedicated gun nut smile.gif

--------------------
...and they will show you how, to make the future look a bit victorian aged and how to spread your geekness, proudly, not ashamed...
- Camillo Miller (Fareware ToM)
PMEmail Poster
SDWBOSS
Posted: September 20, 2007 05:30 pm
Quote Post

Elite zombie Butcher

Group: Old BB:S Betatesters

I partially agree with some weapon changes, such as the M1 Garand, but then the whole game would have a completely different fell to it. I like BrainBread because of the fact you can pick up a Kalash, M16 and still have room on your anatomy for the good old M3 shotgun.

Perhaps an idea would be limiting you to 1 large weapon and 2 smaller ones such as in Counter Strike: Source, with the weapons all occupying holders on the player model...

But I think we should wait untill the game is released before we start tinkering with, what are essentially zombie killing tools smile.gif

--------------------
User Posted Image
mallic
Posted: September 20, 2007 06:34 pm
Quote Post

Penguin Overlord

Chainsaw happy.gif Also the ability to barricade and lay traps

--------------------
User Posted Image
Slip away, to fade away
Touching me, changing me
PMEmail Poster
gordon_frohman
Posted: September 20, 2007 08:39 pm
Quote Post

Frohtastic !

QUOTE (Luciel @ September 20, 2007 10:41 am)
QUOTE (-=Chris Redfield=- @ September 20, 2007 04:03 am)

As Chris just said, iīd like to make clear that, as in the original BB, BBS is about fun, with an arcade feel, i mean seriously, we all know a minigun is unlikely, but, itīs fun right? itīs all about killing hordes of zombies in the funnest way possible.

Basically BB and BBS are not about realism, itīs about going online and shooting zombies in as many ways possible, and not have to worry about finding ammo and wether or not should you get X heavy weapon because it slows you down.

and thats what gives off a good feeling

RUN ZOMBIE BITCHES RUN ! WAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
SDWBOSS
Posted: September 20, 2007 11:02 pm
Quote Post

Elite zombie Butcher

QUOTE (gordon_frohman @ September 20, 2007 08:39 pm)

SHAMBLE ZOMBIE BITCHES SHAMBLE ! WAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !

Fixed for added realism.

--------------------
User Posted Image
gordon_frohman
Posted: September 20, 2007 11:06 pm
Quote Post

Frohtastic !

ooooh thankies !

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Security Corporate
Posted: September 21, 2007 12:46 am
Quote Post

Gore God of Massacre

QUOTE (SDWBOSS @ September 20, 2007 03:02 pm)
QUOTE (gordon_frohman @ September 20, 2007 08:39 pm)

SHAMBLE ZOMBIE BITCHES SHAMBLE ! WAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !

Fixed for added rainbow fun.

As stated above. tongue.gif
PM
DavidRoxZoRs
Posted: September 21, 2007 02:30 am
Quote Post

Doom Trooper

QUOTE (zephir @ September 19, 2007 11:24 pm)
I have some suggestions for the new game, in my opinion, the current BB has too many unrealistic firearms and weapons, many of which are next to unobtainable or cannot be wielded as portrayed in BB.

Okay, not to be harsh but thats really a retarded idea.

Think about it, who is going to care about civilians wielding military-class weapons when the Apocalypse is happening?

Besides the fact that its a GAME and wielding a minigun that wont knock you over isnt any less realistic than a zombie outbreak.

Try to contemplate that.

--------------------
-=U.N.C.L.E=- David
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterAOL
mallic
Posted: September 23, 2007 07:17 am
Quote Post

Penguin Overlord

actually if we wanted to change the story a bit we could add in that they developed a new minigun with less kickback designed to kill hordes of zombies

--------------------
User Posted Image
Slip away, to fade away
Touching me, changing me
PMEmail Poster
SDWBOSS
Posted: September 25, 2007 08:06 pm
Quote Post

Elite zombie Butcher

QUOTE (mallic @ September 23, 2007 07:17 am)
actually if we wanted to change the story a bit we could add in that they developed a new minigun with less kickback designed to kill hordes of zombies

Excellant. Let the massacre begin, please!

--------------------
User Posted Image
Pages: 12
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll