Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> short story, at least i tried to make this short
Tanker
Posted: August 29, 2007 04:05 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Group: Members

I want an honest opinion that includes telling me if its too boring... and none of that "its good (but i secretly didnt read it)" crap that i know you all give

edit: it seemed a lot longer on microsoft...

“Are you sure you’ll be alright?” Amanda said to her little brother
“I’ll be fine…” Chris responded “I just need to head down stairs real quick and grab some food from the cupboard. I won’t be down there more than five minutes.”

Chris, Amanda, and Amanda’s boyfriend Josh had been hiding in their parent’s room for two days now without any food. One of them had to go down there. Chris was only twelve and his sister and her boyfriend were fifteen, unfortunately Josh had broken his leg playing football and Amanda was too scared to go so Chris was the only one left. Chris would not go unarmed though; he managed to grab his step dad’s keys, not to the truck, but to the case underneath his parent’s bed where the shotgun was kept.

He silently crept down stairs making as little noise as possible and making sure that every time he was going to turn a corner he looked around it to make sure no one was there. Eventually he made it to the cupboard and started loading a garbage bag full of all the food they could eat without cooking.

Back in the parent’s room Josh was trying to convince Amanda that Chris would be ok. But it was all he could do to stop her from crying.

“Come on baby… He’ll be fine. Don’t worry about it.” But as he said this a sudden crash came from downstairs and then the sound of a window breaking.

Amanda quickly got up and pushed the dresser against the door. She could hear her brother’s screams as he ran upstairs. A load bang from the shotgun went off and more yells. Thuds from bodies hitting the floor could be heard as more shotgun blasts went off. Another scream then suddenly it stopped. No more yelling could be heard, nor could you hear the sound of the gun going off.

“Chris!” Amanda called out. No answer. “Chris!” Still no answer

Amanda fell to the floor crying. The image of her brother’s corpse swallowing her thoughts, and to make things worse she knew he would not remain dead for long.

Then suddenly a voice called out “I’m ok! I got the food let me in!”

This post has been edited by Tanker on August 29, 2007 04:22 am

--------------------
When He opened the fourth seal I heard the voice of the fourth living being say, "Come!" Then I looked and saw an ash-colored horse. The name of its rider was Death, and Hades followed him closely. Authority was granted them over a quarter of the earth, to kill with the sword, with famine, with plaque, and by means of the wild beasts of the earth.

-Revelations 6:7-8
PMEmail Poster
iliketoblowzombieheadsoff
Posted: August 29, 2007 04:38 am
Quote Post

Ratatatatatatatatatatatattatatt

Aha!!!

Tanker that was amazingly good.

I wasn't expecting it to be like this. I haven't read much material like this for a while.... reminds me a bit of the first scene in the 28 Weeks Later movie.

Will this have a continuation? laugh.gif

--------------------
Current game(s): Uh uh not updatin' this no mo
Looking forward to: Some shit
Name Shortcut: Zombie, Isit, Bob(not recommended)
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
mallic
Posted: August 29, 2007 08:37 pm
Quote Post

Penguin Overlord

Group: BB:S Team

good for being shitty happy.gif

--------------------
User Posted Image
I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me
PMEmail Poster
Tanker
Posted: August 29, 2007 09:13 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Zombie thanks for your support and mallic thanks for... your honesty. i dont think there will be a continuation... but it really depends on the rest of the resposes i get (if any). i got this idea a while ago but i didnt want to put it up because im not proud of my writing ability. i actually wanted to write this in first person but i find things easier in third... yeah so more responses please....

--------------------
When He opened the fourth seal I heard the voice of the fourth living being say, "Come!" Then I looked and saw an ash-colored horse. The name of its rider was Death, and Hades followed him closely. Authority was granted them over a quarter of the earth, to kill with the sword, with famine, with plaque, and by means of the wild beasts of the earth.

PMEmail Poster
mallic
Posted: August 31, 2007 04:22 am
Quote Post

Penguin Overlord

Group: BB:S Team

good don;t think we could sit through another one >_>

--------------------
User Posted Image
I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me
PMEmail Poster
Posted: September 01, 2007 12:24 am
Quote Post

I could. laugh.gif

Really good fanfic I've read, a break from the usual action-ish stuff.

But those are fun too, but whatevah.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
The-Nameless-One
Posted: September 07, 2007 09:18 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Pretty good read, although there is room for improvement (maybe be a little more descriptive?), this has good potential so keep it up! happy.gif

--------------------
The brighter the Light, The deeper the Shadows.

Every man lives. Not every man Truely dies.
PMEmail Poster
gordon_frohman
Posted: September 07, 2007 10:00 pm
Quote Post

Frohtastic !

could need improvements but...
user posted image
APPROVED!

heres a tip though , if yah want to 'train' your writing ,, you should join a RP...
or such smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
SDWBOSS
Posted: September 07, 2007 10:58 pm
Quote Post

Elite zombie Butcher

Group: Old BB:S Betatesters

dam, Tanker! That was going well untill you wrote "it's ok I got the food!"

Leaving him silent and having laboured footsteps coming towards the door and the metalic drag of a shotgun barrel on the dry floorboards, then maybe a single knock on the door -=END=- would have been AWSOME

great story though biggrin.gif I enjoyed reading it.

This post has been edited by SDWBOSS on September 07, 2007 10:59 pm

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Posted: September 08, 2007 12:36 am
Quote Post

That's true.... Tanker you should write more. laugh.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Tanker
Posted: September 08, 2007 12:52 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

the nameless one- being a little more discriptive is exactly what i want to get better at... ive always found that to be my problem... i have trouble explaining things the way i see them in my head and it often frustrates me to the point where i just dont discribe it at all...

gordon: thanks for the advice... the only real reason i dont join an rp is because i get bored if i write about the same topic for too long... so half way through the rp my character would suddenly disappear you know what i mean? happy.gif

SDWBOSS: as for your advice thats actually exactly what i wanted to do at the end but at the last second i felt compelled to add a classic american hero always prevails ending... edit: actually the true ending i wanted to put even before that (at the time i was toying with ideas) was that after he told them he had the food Amanda would begin to open the door only for it to be shut quick by Chris on the other side... then Amanda would say "Chris whats wrong?" and then it would end with one word... "Mom"...

overall: because most of the responses were more or less positive (except for mallic but i think he just doesnt like me) ill definitly consider adding another short story... i dont want to continue this one because as i said in my respose to gordon i get bored when i write about the same thing again and again... feel free to add any short storys you guys make to this thread... and ill gladly give what advice i can...

This post has been edited by Tanker on September 08, 2007 01:06 am

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
SDWBOSS
Posted: September 08, 2007 11:09 am
Quote Post

Elite zombie Butcher

QUOTE (Tanker @ September 08, 2007 12:52 am)
the nameless one- being a little more discriptive is exactly what i want to get better at... ive always found that to be my problem... i have trouble explaining things the way i see them in my head and it often frustrates me to the point where i just dont discribe it at all...

...i get bored if i write about the same topic for too long... so half way through the rp my character would suddenly disappear... i get bored when i write about the same thing again and again...

That's exactly hwo I feel! After a few pages of writing a story, I get bored of the people I'm describing or the general storyline, so I never get to finish it.

Being descriptive is easy if 1) you learn lots of long adjectives and don't use them more than once in about 20 lines, and 2) go for little details.

e.g. (big thing) Standing alone, the mighty temple reached up defiantly toward's heaven's eye. The sun burned with rage at it's defiance. (small thing) A layer of choking ivy had seized the stones, resisting their continued determination to survive the ages.

I'm no expert but I hope this helps.

--------------------
User Posted Image
The-Nameless-One
Posted: September 10, 2007 10:36 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Heres a few tips I found helped me; try to describe colours or little details(that you normally wouldn't bother with) in objects e.g "The blood splashed across the floor", this could be improved with things like "the 'Crimson liquid'(or "Ruby red",etc) R(however, only describe things like this when the readers will know that it's blood.) splashed across the floor" and also describe objects more to immerse the reader into the story just a little bit more, "The blood splashed across the floor" into "The blood splashed across the dirty, beaten carpet, adding another layer of filth to the grime of the underside of many boot's past." And, to add more horror/tension, make it seem as if the character is having trouble seperating whats real and what he's imagining, e.g "As he ran from the horde of monsters, he could feel the shadows warping and twisting, trying to grab him." and also, metaphors(or similes, I can never remember which is which) e.g "his neck feeling like a twig, being bent between a child's fingers, about to snap. He could feel his senses leaving him, the world bluring and fading, warping and twisting into the shadows, the sound, killing itself with a gentle ringing."
So, there you go, some advice from one aspiring writer to another happy.gif

This post has been edited by The-Nameless-One on September 10, 2007 10:39 pm

--------------------
The brighter the Light, The deeper the Shadows.

Every man lives. Not every man Truely dies.
PMEmail Poster
Tanker
Posted: September 10, 2007 11:54 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

thanks for the advice nameless... umm while this is still alive ive run into a snag... the story idea i had for the next short story turned out to be a dead end... anyone got any ideas for what i can right about?

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
SDWBOSS
Posted: September 11, 2007 12:04 am
Quote Post

Elite zombie Butcher

Snipers. Can't go wrong with snipers when you're stuck. That's what I'm sticking in mine *OOPS SPOILER* wink.gif

--------------------
User Posted Image
Pages: 12
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll