Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> System Requirements?
grasn
Posted: November 28, 2004 11:29 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

Group: Members

First, this is the best Coop HL mod out there, you did great job!
But what are the system requirements? if i disable fog, detail textures etc, the mod still lags like hell even on lan. If i play on a internet server it is impossible. Its just laging.
PM
kennY
Posted: November 29, 2004 01:54 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

Ok, my PC really is crap!

P3 500, 256 MB Ram, Geforce 2 MX etc...

But still I can play this mod very good, it´s hard to believe, I know biggrin.gif

The only thing is when I get hunted by 20-30 Zombies and they are very close it starts to turn into a dia show biggrin.gif But it is still playable and a lot of fun biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
---------------------------
...don´t ever mess with me!
---------------------------
PMEmail Poster
grasn
Posted: November 29, 2004 02:43 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

well i have a bit better p3 900 mhz, 256 ram, geforce 2 mx
but its realy laging. maybe because of the zombies...
PM
TSS
Posted: November 29, 2004 05:36 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

if its video lag, its just the massive amount of zombies there are in BB.

if its lag as in high pings, you have to consider taht every zombie has its own set of data. like what parts of the body it still has, how fast it moves, and ofcourse where it is on the map. the server has to track every one of those zombies.

now, if you have 50 zombies chasing you, the server is loading like hell, and it jsut lags because of the massive amount of data that is beeing sent over.

and if everybody starts shooting it really gets nasty because the server has to track the bullits + register the hits aswell. just run net_graph 3 and see the dip that your framerate takes when you fire and what it is when yer not firing.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
SimonS
Posted: November 29, 2004 05:38 pm
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

QUOTE (grasn @ Nov 29 2004, 01:43 PM)
well i have a bit better p3 900 mhz, 256 ram, geforce 2 mx
but its realy laging. maybe because of the zombies...

Well, thats not a good computer... you need atleast 512MB RAM and a pretty good graphic card... On my old computer i had 256MB ram too, and pretty much of the games were lagging, so save up some money dude!

--------------------
user posted image
-=SPITFIRE-NUKE=- <--My website
(Maps:)
--------------------------------
ss_Fieldust Download (CS:S)
bb_ss_gashop 5% (BrainBread) Pics soon
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Jakkar
Posted: November 29, 2004 05:54 pm
Quote Post

Forumzombie!

SimonS, never make the assumption people can afford a PC upgrade. Or I will find you, and tear out your liver with my teeth.

Thankyou.

Grasn: I'm glad to hear you like the mod so much, but Brainbread simply stretched the HL engine to breaking point, and a PC which can run Counterstrike or TFC playably still may not be able to handle Brainbread. The dev team might be able to give you a few more tweaking tips to make your experience more playable, but no guarantees.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
SimonS
Posted: November 29, 2004 05:55 pm
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

Just a suggestion rolleyes.gif

EDIT: If you often find lag spikes in some mods go try Rate 9999 in console (helped me alot)

--------------------
user posted image
Druaga
Posted: November 29, 2004 11:24 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

I think it's pretty silly of a mod development team (or any development team for this matter) to pump the system requirements so high that only those with new computers can enjoy their product. If you were creating a game solely for the enjoyment of others, wouldn't you want to make it enjoyable for the majority of people, including those who don't have hundreds of dollars to fork over when the newest video card comes out? I mean, my computer is fairly old, but it can run some games at a playable state, and this includes most HL mods. BrainBread is the one where it's constantly at 5 FPS looking at anything but a wall. If I knew anything about how HL worked, I'd try to change the textures to simpler ones, or replace the models with low-poly versions. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about the maps from a player's point of view. I believe I speak for a lot of players when I say that performance outweighs visual quality.
PMEmail Poster
deminem
Posted: December 01, 2004 01:06 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

can anybody help me with my installation.Pls reply. or email me at adrian_chy@hotmail.com
PMEmail Poster
TSS
Posted: December 01, 2004 04:43 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

QUOTE (Druaga @ Nov 29 2004, 10:24 PM)
I think it's pretty silly of a mod development team (or any development team for this matter) to pump the system requirements so high that only those with new computers can enjoy their product. If you were creating a game solely for the enjoyment of others, wouldn't you want to make it enjoyable for the majority of people, including those who don't have hundreds of dollars to fork over when the newest video card comes out? I mean, my computer is fairly old, but it can run some games at a playable state, and this includes most HL mods. BrainBread is the one where it's constantly at 5 FPS looking at anything but a wall. If I knew anything about how HL worked, I'd try to change the textures to simpler ones, or replace the models with low-poly versions. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about the maps from a player's point of view. I believe I speak for a lot of players when I say that performance outweighs visual quality.

when i bought this computer, 2 years back, the minimum specs for any game comming out in that period where: 600 Mhz p3, 256 RAM, geforce 2 32 MB.

there isnt a SINGLE GAME at the moment that has a pentium 3 as a minimum required system spec. half life 2 systemspecs where super suprising, since HL2 works on "low end machines". that is a p4 1,4 gig with 512 ram and geforce 3. thats a low end!

and you speak for very few players if you say that performance outweighs visual quality. doom 3, perfect example. needs a super computer to run and look nice. my system was adviced for low quality graphics, i turned it on high. i set my HL2 details as high as it would go, and didnt matter that i had 18 fps on the crowded bits.

if brainbread was a commercial product, it would've had the lowest system specs for a game to come out in 2004.
der.Spassti
Posted: December 01, 2004 07:53 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

I have 1700Mhz GeForce 2 MX 256MB RAM and it works perfect (in offline Mode) But in online games it lags sometimes but thats internet lag.
PMEmail Poster
TSS
Posted: December 01, 2004 09:13 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

just to make something clear, for everybody..

theres 2 type of lags: video lag, and network lag.

videolag is low fps, frames per second. if your FPS drops like mad, and the game stutters heavely, your very prone to miss alot of shots. also, the world around you keeps moving but you view it as a sort of slow motion (with like 5-15 fps) in which you can miss alot fo shots.

network lag is the infamous and annoying ping. a ping is the time for a packet to reach the server from your computer, and from the server to reach your computer. it takes ... much milliseconds. in half-life, playable pings is 0-100. annoying is 101-200 and 200+ is just unplayable. the higher your ping, the slower the connection of the server is *or* the further away it is. a american will never have a 30 ping on a australian server.

also, the more data send the more time it takes the more network lag ya got. BB sends alot of data, thats why its reccomended to have no more then 10 players in the server.
SimonS
Posted: December 02, 2004 02:10 pm
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

My PC Specs: Pentium 4 3GHz 1MB Cache prescott. ATi Radeon 9600 256MB
1GB Ram

--------------------
user posted image
Fire_Angel
Posted: December 06, 2004 04:51 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

OMG!
I got a Geforce 4 TI 4400, Athlon XP 1800+, 1024mb ram and i only got 5 FPS in game when action was going on. I used new nvidia drivers beta that was released for half life 2... and THAT was the problem! Today I switched back to old drivers, 44.67, and wtf, now brainbread works like a dream.

--------------------
"Brains???" "Beer!" "Brraaaaaiiiinnnss????" "Beeeeeerrr!!"
"NeEd BrAiNs!" "OnLy BeEr!" "*sigh* Well, ok!"
PMEmail Poster
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll