[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> New Enemy, NPC Survivors
EcheloN
Posted: September 17, 2005 09:17 pm
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

Group: Members

The premise of this is simple:

Many of the survivors of zombie outbreaks such as the Heaven's Gate and Mecklenburg incidents were severely traumatized by the sight of the dead walking about and eating the living. The symptoms are reportedly most severe among lone survivors with no "friendly" presence nearby. As well as exhibiting symptoms similar to shell-shock, their brains go into "ultimate survivor mode", in which they barricade themselves in rooms and shoot indiscriminately at anything that moves, whether they be zombies, fellow survivors, Police or Military personell, or their own shadows.

NPC Survivors will shoot at ANYTHING they see, but will place actual zombies at the top of the priority target list. Many of them have watched their infected comrades turn into nightmarish enemies, and therefore will not trust any potential allies that look injured or bloody (basically, everyone). They are armed with common weapons such as Sawed-Off Shotguns or Magnums. NPC Survivors have had plenty of chance to develop their aiming skills, and therefore have a high degree of accuracy.

I thought this would be a good way to add more challenging NPC enemies to BB without turning it into Resident Evil with monsters, mutants, etc.
PMEmail Poster
hunter
Posted: September 17, 2005 10:25 pm
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

Group: Old BB:S Betatesters

That is a very good idea indeed. But i think people would find it weird when someone starts shooting you.

I think another good hostile enemie could be squads of clean up crews.

Clean up crews.

Shoot any survivors on site, sent by an unknown authoritie. They where sent into the city of heavensgate to try and contain the virus before it could of spread any further. There orders where to shoot any of the "infected" or any survivors of any kind. Sitings of these clean up crews were very rare and are supposed to be rumours. Armed with the latest high tec weaponry these squads were trained to handle any unpredictable situations.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Security Corporate
Posted: September 17, 2005 10:58 pm
Quote Post

Gore God of Massacre

Clean-Up crews wont work man. The Army already is the "clean-up crew". This is the first time the military wants to help civilians in a zombie outbreak so please dont change it. Although insane "Father Grigori" type people would work, just not as helpful as him though laugh.gif . But would they still shoot people who are not injured and look non-bloodied?
PM
hunter
Posted: September 17, 2005 11:25 pm
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

No there could be new maps without army on and the clean up crews on them. I mean the army wont be everywhere will it.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Mic2070
Posted: September 17, 2005 11:28 pm
Quote Post

Doom Trooper

QUOTE (Security Corporate @ Sep 17 2005, 02:58 PM)
Clean-Up crews wont work man. The Army already is the "clean-up crew". This is the first time the military wants to help civilians in a zombie outbreak so please dont change it. Although insane "Father Grigori" type people would work, just not as helpful as him though laugh.gif . But would they still shoot people who are not injured and look non-bloodied?

"Watch out ! behind you !" *bang*
*headcrab drops dead*
"Omfg ! Thanks"

Haha, father greg.

Anyway, Military enemies would... suck.

security is right, + People who shoot back at me ? hey, why not make them players ?
and give them M4 and Aks ? and A little backpack with a bomb ? and remove the zombies ?

Oops I did it again, I made Cs.
laugh.gif ph34r.gif ---->[]

--------------------
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterAOL
hunter
Posted: September 17, 2005 11:36 pm
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

Think your hyper to day or is that you everday?

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
EcheloN
Posted: September 18, 2005 09:21 am
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

In Half-Life and Opposing Forces, the Marines were sent in to "clean up" the Black Mesa facility, and then the Black Ops were sent in to "clean up" everything, including the Marines. I think "Sweeper Teams" would only work as an enemy in maps involving Black Mesa-like facilities such as Research labs, Nuclear Reactors, etc., and in maps where there are no Marines.

Think about this: the strain of watching his comrades join the undead horde, the effort involved in keeping himself alive, and going for three days without sleep, the NPC Survivor's nervous system is near its breaking point. The only thought on his brain is Survival, and his mind has been so stressed because of the previous incidents that he will fire at anything he percieves as a threat (basically, everything). Since no other thought enters into his head, other than his own survival, he is a danger to other survivors and to police/military personell and since it would be too difficult to capture him (since the Marines didn't bring any non-lethal weaponry with them), the only course of action is to dispatch him.

As I said before, this would be a more challenging enemy that can be added without turning the game into Resident Evil.

PMEmail Poster
hunter
Posted: September 18, 2005 10:58 am
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

Yeah id like to see this crazy guy like muttering to himself and your walking down a quite street and you just get shot by a sniper rifle!

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Elite viking
Posted: September 18, 2005 02:23 pm
Quote Post

Veteran Lord Carnage

I'd like that. It could be made like the sniper nests in halflife 1 (or 2 for that matter), a stationary gun that shoots at anything.
PMEmail Poster
EcheloN
Posted: September 19, 2005 04:52 am
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

In HL1, snipers were inanimate objects that shot you if you came into their field of fire, made blood and groaned when they died. In Op4 and HL2, Snipers are actual, mobile characters.

If this were ever ported to Source, the NPC Survivor would be muttering to himself (and would scream at everything he shot at), would twitch, and would gnaw on his hand or something when he thinks theres nobody around. Just to give some imagery of what this guy is like.

This post has been edited by EcheloN on September 19, 2005 04:53 am
PMEmail Poster
Shoot_me
Posted: September 19, 2005 11:19 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Would there be a way of adding modes to the current bb_spawn_zombie object? Say, for mode 1 through however many youd make for a zombie, marine or barney, with the default (no value or 1, or whatever) being their current BB 1.2 behavior? So, if you wanted to spawn in marines or barneys thatd be traumatized, youd just throw in the argument (term QuArK uses for specifics) with the correct mode into the map editor. That way, you could even add in the twitching zombies, or even maybe marines that are starting to turn into zombies who just fire and run at everything without having to add in new spawn entities.

Though, I dont exactly know how modding works, so it may not be possible.

--------------------

Still mapping away!!
PMUsers Website
Security Corporate
Posted: September 20, 2005 01:28 am
Quote Post

Gore God of Massacre

Does Half Life 1 NPCs have ai_relationships? In HL2 mapping, you can use those to program which NPC is going to hate/like/fear who. Or is the HL1 engine to simplistic for that?
PM
Shoot_me
Posted: September 20, 2005 02:58 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

QUOTE (Security Corporate @ Sep 19 2005, 07:28 PM)
Does Half Life 1 NPCs have ai_relationships? In HL2 mapping, you can use those to program which NPC is going to hate/like/fear who. Or is the HL1 engine to simplistic for that?

You could set how they react, trigger states, etc. in HL1. Not sure about BB though.

--------------------

Still mapping away!!
PMUsers Website
**[STARS]**BrasileiroSk8r
Posted: September 20, 2005 03:29 am
Quote Post

Uberzernichter

what if u made it where NPC's shot at u as u were becoming infected, ie:ur virus meter appeared and u were transforming. that seems more reasonable huh?

--------------------
Come Skank with Me!
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
EcheloN
Posted: September 20, 2005 05:57 am
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

Braseleiro, your avatar should be of Brian Peppers!

Anyways, we could have the insane NPC survivors, as well as making it so that if you were infected, friendly NPCs would shoot at you.

This post has been edited by EcheloN on September 20, 2005 05:58 am
PMEmail Poster
Pages: 12
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll