Powered by Invision Power Board [ Resend Validation Email ]
Welcome Guest [ Log In · Register ]
Forum Rules HelpSearchMembersCalendar

Pages: 12  [ Go to first unread post ]
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Things That Would...., what do u think?
Jest3r
  Posted: February 28, 2005 08:40 pm
Quote Post

Experienced Killer

Group: Members

Things that would improve Brain Bread

i would like to say (before i begin) that this game is incredibly fun. the action, the skills, the teamwork, everything is fun.

however, it doesnt quite have the 'desperate fight for survival' feel that so many movies and other games do, which Brain Bread seems to take inspiration from. for example, in the game, getting killed by a zombie isnt so bad, u eventually turn back into a human, so most people dont even care when they are infected. also, the level and frequency of teamwork could use some improvements.

to improve on the atmosphere of this great game, i would like to make a few suggestions to whoever is listening.

1. once a player has been infected, i suggest that that silly 'wobbling character' thing stops. the only warning signs that a player is turning zombie should be a lack of speed, and maybe the occasional squirt of blood (until he/she actually turns zombie, where his appearance if different anyways). this would effectively create interesting paranoia on a human team, people shooting friendlies because they might think the man next to them is infected.

2. in order to make # 1 work, human players should be able to either shoot friendlies in the head with a pistol or with an axe. this would enable people to shoot infected teammates, yet it would prevent widespread teamkilling with an automatic. besides, if someone is infected, they will either ask u to shoot them, or they will try and deceive his/her team.

3. *** An important improvement that could be made to this game is a ratio system. An example of what this system is: when playing a map such as 'SLAY' (the one where the humans hold the barricade in the shopping mall), and the human team has only 2 or 3 people, the action is intense. the humans have to actually work together to force the zombies back. HOWEVER, with a larger human team, the less desperate and straining the situation is, because so many people are firing at once. So, if the game were to have a 'ratio' balancing type system, the gameplay would become more difficult, yet more fun for the team oriented players. if the human team is large, the number of zombies should be increased (via spawn times/ increasing spawn points) or just sheer starting amount, and vice versa for if the human team is small. as i suggest, the system should be a feature that can be turned on/off by the server admins.

4. Another suggestion that would make Brain Bread better is: ammo should be more limited. I have found that during the games, more than half of my team usually just stands on one of those 'shelf' steps and just fires into zombie spawn points, their ammunition never running out. to encourage teams to complete objectives, I suggest that ammo is plentiful at the starting point, but only the more basic weapons are availiable. the next 'safe station' (something such as one of those steps, or a small barricade with a marine guard) should incude more advanced weapons, plus more ammo. ALSO: to limit ammo, ammunition boxes should only be able to dish out a certain amount of ammo before they have to 'regenerate ammo'. this could be shown via a small bar rising next to the box, or a marine would have to run to the ammo box and perform some sort of action. the lack of ammunition and weapons would encourage tight teamwork, while still allowing 'solo' players to try and run ahead and hold a posiiton on their own.

5. in conujunction with several other of my suggestions, the lack of ammo, the increase in the number of zombies, i think that the zombies should be slightly weaker. while the balance right now is decent, headshots should do more damage. i would also mention the 'destructable legs' idea, but that has already been mentioned several times in this forum.

6. a final, smaller suggestion is to enable the tossing/ sharing of ammo between players. players should be able to drop a bit of ammo without losing the weapon (but they can still drop the weapon if they wish). this would further encourage teamwork in tight spots.

CONCLUSION

I am looking for people to comment on my suggestions, to say what they think. In all games that i play, i find that the players have enormous amounts of fun when they are put in desperate situations, when they have to struggle for an extra magazine of ammo, or they have to decide which teammate is infected, or provide covering fire for a struggling survivor.

I believe that my suggestions would do several things. they would make the game MUCH MORE team oriented (but the option for soloing still remains), and place the human players in tight spots where decisions would have to be made. it would become an action game, teamwork game, survival game, and thinking game (more so than it already is i mean). it would also be harder. Yet, the atmosphere of paranoia and desperation would add to this already great game.

for anyone who read all of my suggestions (and even for those of u who just scrolled to the bottom wink.gif ) thank you for your time!

--------------------
-Jest3r
PMEmail Poster
Reaper2k3
Posted: February 28, 2005 09:20 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

I don't think you realise you are playing a HALF LIFE mod.

The ONLY thing I agree with is humans should be able to shoot other humans who have gotten the turn into zombies tick, make them another team or something and killable by both teams but cant kill humans
PMEmail Poster
Immoral Sniper
Posted: February 28, 2005 09:23 pm
Quote Post

The force is strong in me
Group Icon

Group: BB Betatesters

should be a lack of speed

- This isn't a warning sign at all

occasional squirt of blood

- In order for this to be a warning sign, it would have to be about as obvious as the current spasms.

human players should be able to either shoot friendlies in the head with a pistol or with an axe. this would enable people to shoot infected teammates, yet it would prevent widespread teamkilling with an automatic.

- Lacks logical sense, my 9mm berretta can wound a teammate and a turnee, however my 7.68 doesn't.
- Flamethrower already works against people turning into zombies
- Intentional TKing does not have to be widespread in order to be a problem; such as TKing one person over and over and over until they leave, rinse and repeat.

So, if the game were to have a 'ratio' balancing type system, the gameplay would become more difficult, yet more fun for the team oriented players. if the human team is large, the number of zombies should be increased (via spawn times/ increasing spawn points) or just sheer starting amount, and vice versa for if the human team is small. as i suggest, the system should be a feature that can be turned on/off by the server admins.

- Not a chance, BB is already pushing entity limits, you can not just keep adding zombies.
- There are already two features which scale the difficulty, the variable sv_difficulty, and more players there are in a server the more health zombies have.

4. Another suggestion that would make Brain Bread better is: ammo should be more limited. I have found that during the games, more than half of my team usually just stands on one of those 'shelf' steps and just fires into zombie spawn points, their ammunition never running out. to encourage teams to complete objectives, I suggest that ammo is plentiful at the starting point, but only the more basic weapons are availiable. the next 'safe station' (something such as one of those steps, or a small barricade with a marine guard) should incude more advanced weapons, plus more ammo. ALSO: to limit ammo, ammunition boxes should only be able to dish out a certain amount of ammo before they have to 'regenerate ammo'. this could be shown via a small bar rising next to the box, or a marine would have to run to the ammo box and perform some sort of action. the lack of ammunition and weapons would encourage tight teamwork, while still allowing 'solo' players to try and run ahead and hold a posiiton on their own.

- I have already made suggestions (which are going to be implemented in 1.3) that will allow mappers the flexability to limit ammo and weapons availible in a level (such as regenerating ammo boxes). This is not a dev problem, it is a map problem.

i would also mention the 'destructable legs' idea, but that has already been mentioned several times in this forum.

- Don't bother, it is not going to be implemented.

6. a final, smaller suggestion is to enable the tossing/ sharing of ammo between players. players should be able to drop a bit of ammo without losing the weapon (but they can still drop the weapon if they wish). this would further encourage teamwork in tight spots.

- Not a bad idea, in theory, however, exactly how many people would bother to use such a feature?

--------------------
BB Maps I've made...
bb_stronghold {Beta 9}
bb_shootingrange {Beta 1}

Threads you should read before posting...
Immoral's List of Things Not to Suggest
Immoral's Mapping Guide

Forum Spammers
Name (Number of spamming citations issued)

Nikku (3), -KRUX- (2), Mitchell (2), hunter (2), Gneralas (2), CHAY (2), vyvu (2), Rustie1821 (1), w00t (1), dagny (1), Nandu666 (1), The.Raver(1), moecomputer (1), -=Jouni=- (1), santa_kills (1), DarknessGlams (1)
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
hunter
Posted: February 28, 2005 09:43 pm
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

Group: Old BB:S Betatesters

Shot down as usual!

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
-=Jouni=-
Posted: February 28, 2005 09:48 pm
Quote Post

Elite zombie Butcher

QUOTE (Immoral Sniper @ Feb 28 2005, 09:23 PM)

- Not a bad idea, in theory, however, exactly how many people would bother to use such a feature?

True, even in Zombie Panic, where it's important to share ammo, allmost everyone just rushes and takes _all_ ammo in their sighted, regardless of what weapons they have.
PMEmail Poster
Jest3r
  Posted: March 01, 2005 02:52 am
Quote Post

Experienced Killer

Thanks for the responses and opinions immoral! let me try and evolve my suggestions...

i do recognize that some of my suggestions would have to break the technological barrier of the engine, but nevertheless, they were interesting points.

but i do appreciate your response, let me try and explain what i meant.

*** THE WARNING SIGNS:

allow me to explain. when a human being has lost a great amount of blood (common from animal bites and tears) a common way for the body to respond is to physically reduce its speed. if the body is not working as hard, less blood will be pumped, and hence, less will be lost. the blood spurts, why i agree they would be as common and obvious as the spasms, they would not look quite as odd. (although the adrenaline would increase the heart rate anyways, the 'slow down' reaction would still occur)

*** the TEAMFIRE suggestion i made was to allow players to have themselves voluntarily killed by a weapon which would, realistically, be the first choice to use ammo on for something non-instantly life threatening. think about it, if u had an M16 and shotgun, capable of killing zombies much more efficiently (at least in this game), and a pistol, not so effecient, one would want to use this weapon in the first place. it would also prevent a rampant jerk (myg0t people come to mind) from spraying a team with an automatic/shotgun and killing everyone. also**: i meant that ALL weapons would still function on human players who had been fully turned into zombies, the pistol/axe restriction would only be against those who are in the process of turning.

*** for the DESTRUCTABLE LEGS: i recognize that HL mods do not have this capability, but it was something that could have been a good idea. perhaps damage to the legs would reduce the speed of the zombies?

*** as for the RATIO: i recognize the entity problem, (unfortunately not before u pointed it out wink.gif ). i do know that it is huge, and the difficulty raising IS a good solution, although unrealistic. however, the probable solutions are inhibited by the current status of the game, so, good point.

*** AS FOR LIMITED AMMO: great minds think alike i suppose. points #4 and #6 sort of tie in. with limited ammo, the players would most likely have to pick a weapon to use (for example, if a guy was using m16 ammunition and doing well, he might give his pistol/shotgun ammo to a player who needs it more than he does). so, the sharing of ammo mags between players would allow teammates to develop more of a trust and dependency on each other. i believe it would be used by clan members, and most likely people who have been in a server for a few matches, and they look for more options to tighten their gameplay.

As for Jouni: this was most definetely true. that was actually why i changed to BB (in addition to technical issues). however, in BB.. that element of desperation is missing, and somehow i think that askin for some spare ammo sorta adds to that atmosphere. i guess im just wierd tongue.gif

--------------------
-Jest3r
PMEmail Poster
gamersha794
Posted: March 01, 2005 06:27 am
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

I thought one of the things on the list for the new update was modifying the code so all weapons would work on a turning player zombie while FF is off, not just the Flamer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

PS

I have had zombies that have no upperbody and are just legs walking around smile.gif

This post has been edited by gamersha794 on March 01, 2005 10:04 am

--------------------
come visit me on
Teamxecuter
Xbox-Scene
Teamxodus

And if you need help xbox modding PM or AIM me.
PMEmail PosterAOL
vyvu
  Posted: March 02, 2005 03:22 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

FF never werks even on a server called FF when u shoot they dont lose hp ive tried or mabey im just newb

--------------------
user posted imageI am 52% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Reaper2k3
Posted: March 03, 2005 02:31 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

And about the limiting weapons and ammo, have you played the other zombie mod for half life? The ONLY ammo is the clip the weapon comes with, if there is more, damned if i know where. And the weapons are the devil to find. That all doesnt help in lgiht of the zombies have twice as much hp as the humans and 3 times the power of the human pistol even
PMEmail Poster
Nikku
Posted: March 03, 2005 03:09 am
Quote Post

Mr. Coke

2 has already been suggested by me

--------------------
Only when you gick, will you truly fish...
PMEmail Poster
Hobo Ninja
Posted: March 03, 2005 04:33 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Yeah I think there should be less ammo and yeah I think just spitting out blood would be better than spazzing out when turning....also I think that there should be an option that the server own can turn on thats like if you turn zombie you don't turn back human...but I guess thats kinda already what lms is like isnt it?

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterICQAOLYahoo
strydr
Posted: March 13, 2005 01:40 am
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

yes id have to agree that weapons shud be more scarce makin the game more intense and realistic....i panic when im low on ammo actually..imagiine what the gameplay exp wud be like..ud have to count ur shots and stuff lol
PMEmail Poster
strydr
Posted: March 13, 2005 01:42 am
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

yes id have to agree that weapons shud be more scarce makin the game more intense and realistic....i panic when im low on ammo actually..imagiine what the gameplay exp wud be like..ud have to count ur shots and stuff lol

how do u get rid of a double post...i dun know how sowi tongue.gif

This post has been edited by strydr on March 13, 2005 01:43 am
PMEmail Poster
Elite viking
Posted: March 13, 2005 05:51 pm
Quote Post

Veteran Lord Carnage

Before Immoral do, let me tell you about a wonderful invention, a great stride in humanity's history:
The edit button!
With this button, you remove the need of posting again when you realise you hadn't said all you wanted to, or if there were something wrong.
The funny thing is that you used it...in your second post...
PMEmail Poster
blade_hunter90
Posted: March 14, 2005 12:10 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

i dont really agree with the scarce ammo,strydr said more realistic ? not really i would be the first to take a back pack and put the more ammo i can of the gun i have, the thing i would suggest is when you have only 1 primary weapon,lets say m16,you would have like 220 ammo or something a little more than the current version but when you pick up a other primary weapon lets say the sawed off,your m16 ammo capasity deacrase,cause you would need room to store the ammo of the new gun too,saying that the player would need to choose if he want 1 or 2 weapons,the auto pick up weapon would need to be turn off and the use button or something would pick up a gun
PMEmail Poster
Pages: 12
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll