Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Suggestions, But you won't love 'em.
SFU2236
Posted: August 21, 2005 11:08 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

Group: Members

I got a number of suggestions to better BB, whether or not they will be considered. I'll split it up into two groups, major suggestions which should be taken seriously, to minor suggestions that arn't really important at all.

Major issues/suggestions:

1. The source engine. I know, developers probably hate hearing about it, everyone probably hates reading about it. With the source engine, animations/graphics/overall gameplay would increase greatly. You could actually create barricades with objects, to play around with the ragdoll physics. Plus the added graphics would attract a MUCH larger audience. I could guarantee a higher player count, you'd have a far more popular game than now. I took three people who have never even heard of the game (my brother, cousin and father, all owners of every HL game), and had them play BB. They all said the same thing - It's fun, but looks terrible. Has horrible animations, and a few things could be done to make it good. They all agreed that the game was fun and addictive, but needs change. Even stopping everything your doing now to convert it to source, would probably wind up with good results. This is the biggest problem with the game, in my honest opinion.

2. Gameplay wise, a general suggestion. As of now, the number of zombies are limited, but killing a certain number of them will result in a win. Also, zombies cannot win. My suggestion is for a limited number of total zombies, as set by the server. Wether or not they are all instantly spawned, or spawn like they do now, is undecided by me. This would allow for area clearing on a more realistic level, and a more realistic way of winning the game by killing a specific number of zombies. In my opinion, that would create some better gameplay, just enhances it a little bit.

3. Zombie horde. Zombies cannot win, but why is that? I suggest that if all human players turn into zombies, the zombies win. The marines wouldn't have anyone left to rescue, would they? That would create a bit more pressure to possibly work in groups, and stay alive. Again, this is to create better gameplay.

4. "Fred the farmer" replacement idea. Why, in any area, is there a massive zombie which seems extra stupid? I'm not insulting it, just asking the point of it. Instead, I suggest a horde. A large number of zombies fill the area, instead of fred. So many zombies, that they litterally take up the entire room. Like RE movies showed, so many zombies that one person cannot handle it. Anywhere from 50-100 zombies, as many as the room allows. More fun than hunting down fred the farmer in an underground building.

5. SWAT/Local police. Also something you hear of far too often, but my suggestion is probably different. Offensive AI friendly units, in addition to the defensive marines. I'm just suggesting a few men here and there twhich run around the map, trying to kill as many zombies as possible. This isn't a major issue, but just having marines around is slightly dull.

Minor issues/suggestions:

1. The most important "minor" suggestion in my mind, is weaponry. This is most definetaly talked about a lot, but there are common weapons that everyone always has. I say, make it a bit more realistic, and fun at the same time. How would a dozen survivors all be armed with the same weapon, not suggesting that the army be arming them. Aside from "defense locations", where marines are guarding and standard weaponry be layed out and ammunition found, there should be more variety of weaponry. There are hundreds of different handguns, thousands of rifles, why not incorporate a few more of them into the game? A large amount of variety can go a long way in a players eyes, not being able to find the same weapon twice.

2. Animations is an issue with lots of people. From the absolutely *odd* AXE animation, to zombies "teleporting" and flying back dozens of feet when killed. Make the game LOOK better, and more people will try to play it. The above mentioned people I had try to play the game, did not even want to download it for the said reason. I didn't either, I actually only downloaded (and now enjoy) this mod because a zombie modded server in CS source went down.

3. Variety. Don't mean to sound like I'm insulting the game, don't get me wrong. But your always one of the same models, fighting along side the same marines, for the same objectives, fighting the same hordes of zombies in a few maps. Increase the variety and you'll have better gameplay, trust me on that. This is the same reason BattleField games are so popular, because you have so much option on what to do. In BB, you don't have nearly as much freedom/option.

4. Models. There are a limited amount of models in the game, and none of them look *fantastic*, just good enough. Weapon models are barely tolerable to some. I know modeling takes time, but better models will attract people. Just imagine how the popularity of some games would be affected if their models were decreased tramendously. Graphics is a HUGE necessity for many people, thankfully I am not one of them.

5. MOUT. If you don't know what that means, I'm talking about going into houses/buildings. That would add a huge element of gameplay, especially if you allow people to PLAY as marines and rescue people as an objective. Busting in a house, clearing it out of zombies and coming out with a few survivors, would probably be fun. Especially if there are more than a dozen houses. If it is done right, it could be a whole new element of gameplay.

Off the top of my head, that's about it. But just because, I'll throw in some ideas/suggestions I'm against.

Replacing the axe as a melee weapon. Why? Think about it. Zombies are missing half their bodies and brains anyway, what's a few slices gunna do? The axe is the way to go, take off a limb or two.

Using vehicles. Untill maps get in the open like BattleField 2, vehicles really wouldn't work. Plus, I can't imagine jumping in an abrams and killing a few zombies, and never getting killed. Stupid idea, doesn't fit the game.

Artillery/air strikes. When would we EVER call in an air strike on our own town, full of civilians. The idea is just incredibly dumb, does not work with the game at all.

Replacing the M16 with an M4. The only benefit the M4 has over M16, is smaller size. This game doesn't really need a replacement to an M16 anyways, since it is what the army uses. Maybe as a unique weapon, in adition to the M16, but not a replacement.

Fast zombies; it isn't fun. Sure, maybe have one or two fast zombies, but this role is played by human players. In that aspect, they are rare and fun to encounter.

Monsters. Although if done right, it could be immensly fun, and create a whole new game. But that's just the problem, BB isn't resident evil. Zombies, and zombies only. Find a way to make a little diversity, and you won't need the monsters.

That's about it for my random babbling. I know some of the issues are strictly not tolerated, and much of it is reposts, but I wouldn't say it unless it was absolutely important. I stress this on source, BB NEEDS it. I cannot emphasise that enough.
PMEmail PosterAOL
jimmy
Posted: August 22, 2005 10:12 am
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis

Belevie it or not i reckon your suggestions are quite good. I dont have HL sorce though!!! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

But heres the thing, almost everything uve suggested can ONLY be achieved IF
BB goes to sorce, which prety much isnt going to happen.

The problem here is there CAN NOT be any more models added, there probably cant be anymore than about 80 models on screen at once and making AI smarter cant be done.

REASON: HL engine is already CRAPtastic at runnin brain bred as it is and any more adding things is gonna F$%# it up even more resulting in your computer exploding in your face ph34r.gif

NEW ANIMS WOULD BE FANTASTIC THOUGH.

as for your suggestions ur against thing, im with you all the way man, ALL THE WAY!!!! cool.gif

--------------------
User Posted Image
"and from that day forth, anytime a bunch of animals are found together in one place it's called a ZOO!... Unless its a farm!..."
PMEmail Poster
hunter
Posted: August 22, 2005 08:45 pm
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

Group: Old BB:S Betatesters

That must of taken you at leats an hour to write. Well done on your efforts. i dont have a fault with any of them suggestions there. Probably all been suggested twice! The thing is that the dev team doesnt have the resources and team members to port this wonderful mod to source.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Keyes
Posted: August 22, 2005 09:19 pm
Quote Post

I'm On A Boat

Group: Moderators

An interesting read. Although a part of me died inside when you suggested that they go to source - I've seen it suggested by lotws of people before you, and I doubt you will be the last. Why do people always suggest that Brainbread goes to source? I'll admit that nothing would please me more if it happened. Unfortunately, the Ironoak team/crew/gods (biggrin.gif) have said that they're currently working on their new retail game and are unable to work on a source version of Brainbread.

Still, it was a good read, and I think you've got some valid points.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
[S.T.A.R.S.] Carlos
Posted: August 23, 2005 06:56 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

You make good points minus a couple of things. Local police are already there just in some levels(although SWAT would be nice) ,and when you think about it they would all be dead by then anyway. Having it so that if all players turn into zombies then zombies win would be more like zombie panic and shortens the fun rather than increasing it. Replaing the m16 with the m4 is because the m16 being used in the game was used in Veitnam. we're not using the weapon of our time. And SWAT groups dont use the M16a1 anymore, they arent going to be using the m4 either but im not sure about that. And Resident evil plays a big part to this. Alot of people choose this mod because its alot like resident evil, thats why there are alot of models for Resident Evil players, zombies, and guns with Umbrella symbols on them. And besides monsters would be more fun than FRED. He sucks doesnt really do nothing special.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
hunter
Posted: August 23, 2005 09:16 pm
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

This mod is nothing like resident evil. There is no police and the barneys do not class as police and he means swat team members. Who cares about the m16 we want m4 sop mods!

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
[S.T.A.R.S.] Carlos
Posted: August 24, 2005 12:50 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Barneys in the brainbread storyline are police. and i never said it was like resident evil. I said that it has a part in this, why do you think there are so many mods about RE?

This post has been edited by [S.T.A.R.S.] Carlos on August 24, 2005 12:52 am

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
SFU2236
Posted: August 24, 2005 05:42 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

QUOTE ([S.T.A.R.S.] Carlos @ Aug 23 2005, 06:56 PM)
You make good points minus a couple of things. Local police are already there just in some levels(although SWAT would be nice) ,and when you think about it they would all be dead by then anyway. Having it so that if all players turn into zombies then zombies win would be more like zombie panic and shortens the fun rather than increasing it. Replaing the m16 with the m4 is because the m16 being used in the game was used in Veitnam. we're not using the weapon of our time. And SWAT groups dont use the M16a1 anymore, they arent going to be using the m4 either but im not sure about that. And Resident evil plays a big part to this. Alot of people choose this mod because its alot like resident evil, thats why there are alot of models for Resident Evil players, zombies, and guns with Umbrella symbols on them. And besides monsters would be more fun than FRED. He sucks doesnt really do nothing special.

My specialty is weaponry identification, history and general weapon knowledge.

The M16 is still in use, now M16A2, M16A3 and M16A4 models are used in all devisions of U.S. military. The M16 in BB is not an M16A1, this M16 was single and full auto only. All updated versions had burst, single and safe. M4s are not widely used, only by specific forces and by army men with "privelages", meaning an operation that requires one. Anyways, both weapons are going to be replaced soon. Also, SWAT has use of any attainable weapon, M16/M4s are included.

People might want BB to be on source because of the highly improved look, besides the engine supports a lot more, and BB would have far more potential on source. Not to mention, many people wouldn't simply overlook it if it was on source. If it looks good, people will always go for it. I understand if BB isn't on the top of their lists, but they should definetaly get some work done with it on the source engine if they want BB to be a more popular game. Although I have no idea how to convert this game onto source, the developers can use me whenever they want.
PMEmail PosterAOL
[S.T.A.R.S.] Carlos
Posted: August 24, 2005 07:18 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Thats where your wrong the m4 is widely used by many private security forces because of the cost. Rangers and Delta uses the M4 as primarys all the time. Although thanks to the new SIG assault rifle SWAT will replace it. Im a gun nut too but ive bever heard of the M16a1 being modified with auto and burst. One thing though SWAT groups never just use anything. They're issued Mp5s, Shotguns(im not sure if it benelli), and M4s(soon to be replaced by SIG). All of these guns have been refitted with tactical equipment.

This post has been edited by [S.T.A.R.S.] Carlos on August 24, 2005 07:19 pm

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
hunter
Posted: August 24, 2005 07:24 pm
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

When is the xm8 comign into service, or isnt it? And when are we (the british) going to replace the rubbish lee enfield?

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Keyes
Posted: August 24, 2005 09:36 pm
Quote Post

I'm On A Boat

QUOTE (hunter @ Aug 24 2005, 07:24 PM)
When is the xm8 comign into service, or isnt it? And when are we (the british) going to replace the rubbish lee enfield?

The SA80 is good...in terms of accuracy. Apart from that, it's crap. Thrity minutes of use in a firefight means you have to strip it down and clean the damn thing out before you can use it again.

The stories I've been hearing about our soldiers in Iraq getting ambushed by Militants often involves our soldiers ditching their SA80s and using captured AK-47s. I really don't blame them.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Security Corporate
Posted: August 24, 2005 09:45 pm
Quote Post

Gore God of Massacre

Its getting a bit offtopic here. Enough with weapons...whats yer favori- anway...

I agree with much of your suggestions, but they've all been said already. But I guess putting it all in an intelligent essay kept the flamers at bay. biggrin.gif
PM
Keyes
Posted: August 24, 2005 09:51 pm
Quote Post

I'm On A Boat

I agree there, SC. I think I've developed a locking-reflex, just in case I see someone put in the suggestions forum 'OMFG MAEK BRIANBRED SCOURCE OLOLOL'. Or in any other forum. It causes me great physical pain. But to see more than one suggestion, AND that the writer had taken the time to consider spelling, punctuation and grammar, didn't cause me to want to kill small furry animals.

Congrats, SFU. You saved the small furry animals. biggrin.gif

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
[S.T.A.R.S.] Carlos
Posted: August 25, 2005 04:35 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

QUOTE (hunter @ Aug 24 2005, 07:24 PM)

to answer it around 2008, and the british are going to keep that rifle for another 15 years as I have heard. But they are thinking of replacing it with the G36.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
SFU2236
Posted: August 25, 2005 04:52 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

QUOTE ([S.T.A.R.S.)
Carlos,Aug 24 2005, 07:18 PM] Thats where your wrong the m4 is widely used by many private security forces because of the cost.  Rangers and Delta uses the M4 as primarys all the time. Although thanks to the new SIG assault rifle SWAT will replace it.  Im a gun nut too but ive bever heard of the M16a1 being modified with auto and burst.  One thing though SWAT groups never just use anything. They're issued Mp5s, Shotguns(im not sure if it benelli), and M4s(soon to be replaced by SIG). All of these guns have been refitted with tactical equipment.

Let's not turn this into an arguement. SWAT has full use of any attainable weapon by police and civilians, basically they can use any gun they want unless it is "military" only. As far as rangers using it goes, they HAVE to use the M4. One man equipped with a SAW, another with an M16, and the remainder with M4s (unless there is an addition to the squad, making there 4+ members, except when advised by a superior). One of the M16ers or M4 guys have to use a M203 40mm grenade launcher.

The M4 is not widely used. Most of our forces are using M16A2-M16A4, which outnumbers the M4 about two to one. The M4 is a CQB weapon, it is not good for longer ranges like the M16, so the M16 is issued first. SpecOps, Marines, and privalaged army units gain access to the M4A1 if they choose to use it, and your basic army guy can use it if there are a few laying around, and the higher ups say it's ok. Army and Army reserve primary weapon is the M16. It is not modified for full auto and burst, only for single fire and burst fire. M4s are not being replaced by sig.

As far as the XM8 goes, it has not been selected to replace the M16/M4 family yet. The SCAR series and an improved M4 have shown up, and now with SCAR avaliable to the Army, they are reconsidering their options.

About the L85, it is not a good weapon. Its cheap carbine/SAW versions are some of the worst out there, as far as accuracy goes it is good ONLY in comparison to what the british used to use. It doesn't have anything on an M16/G36k

The British havn't been doing trials like U.S.A. has in order to find a proper replacement, instead their basically looking at a weapon avaliable now that would be a great replacement for the L85. So far, G36 models and a hypothetical improved M16 have been considered. On top of that has been FAL, SIG, and Steyr model weapons.

This post has been edited by SFU2236 on August 25, 2005 04:55 pm
PMEmail PosterAOL
Pages: 12
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll