Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Mapping in source, Yikes
RaptorRed
Posted: February 18, 2006 03:39 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Group: Members

One word sums how I feel about mapping in source, and that is "Yikes". Whatever valve did, they made it more complicated to map in a 2D environment. But it looks more powerful, from when I last worked on a map in source. Also looks like its might be an issue on lower end systems with all those polys being displayed.

I might have this map ready for when the FGD is released, anyone else started to map yet?
PMEmail Poster
Erykgecko
Posted: February 18, 2006 04:04 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Group: Moderators

mapping in source isnt that bad, though when i first started there was a severe lack of tutorials for it, which is why I set up my own mapping site. but theres quite a few good sites out there now with tutorials on how to map, once you pick up the basics its easy.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
Mic2070
Posted: February 21, 2006 06:46 pm
Quote Post

Doom Trooper

Group: Old BB:S Betatesters

Mapping for source is heavy mainly because you can see changes real-time. But it's MUCH MUCH powerful than hammer 1, because of props.

I'm currently working on a graveyard map and waiting for the fgd.

--------------------
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterAOL
Zazzzer
Posted: February 27, 2006 12:59 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Mapping in source isn't that bad, you just need to know how to get around.
PMEmail Poster
Natace
Posted: April 06, 2006 01:02 am
Quote Post

Experienced Killer

been mapping since Jetpack was first ever released, started 3d mapping as soon as Half life 1 was released, I love mapping with hammer, it's the LEAST complex editor i have used to date for 3d games....I hate editors such as UnrealED, or trying to make indoor areas for FAR CRY or Morrowind and TESIV where it's like a freakin jigsaw puzzle just to make a room, usually one tiny little bit will be off, resulting in you having to rearrange the room, only to find another bit is off...in hammer....i don't have to worry about that annoyance.

Go to the valve SDK forums or whatever it is, or follow tutorials onlline, and you learn it pretty quickly. Unfortunately, unless I have something I'm dead set on making, I wont make it...so if I just feel like making a cool idea for a map, i'll most likely map until i get stuck, and then everything slows down for fine tuning and...i dont bother anymore, where as, if I am dead set on an idea, i'll go all the way and usually get it done. I've only ever released one map though....and it wasnt very good, because it was basing my map off another map...which i don't like doing, because textures had to be correctly aligned, buildings had to be the right scale, doors had to be...i didnt know what the indoor areas looked like....and at the time...i didnt know how to get proper trees into hammer.

Now im making a map for a LAN party atm...which is a nightclub for CSS, and it's coming along nicely, lots of little surprises aswell...
PMEmail Poster
Natace
Posted: April 25, 2006 03:11 pm
Quote Post

Experienced Killer

yes this is a double post, but that is because my last post was a while ago
Anyway... I think mapping with hammer is easy as lego, really i'm not kidding, it really is simple.
Just for a basic tutorial.

Go to file>new
(after setting it all up)
click on the block tool, go over to the left, search for a texture, by clicking on the browse button, type in something like "crete" in the filter bar, choose a texture, exit out of that, make yourself a box, one that you can fit inside...
press enter to create it, right click on the box in a 2d view, go to "hollow", chose a wall width of 8.
go to the side menu and find the entity tool, which is like a little light bulb, move your view into your room, click on the floor, and you shoould have a little green man with glasses standing in the room...which is the player_start entity.

Now there is no point in having your room without lights, so use the entity tool again, click in the room, press enter to create your entity...you now have 2 entities.

click on one, and press Alt+Enter at the same time to access the properties, go to the name bar and type in "light"...and "apply", you will now have a light...

Press F9 to go to the compile screen and press enter to start compiling...which shouldnt be long.

You now should have a very simple basic room.

How's that for a crummy tutorial that i wrote up in less than 2 minutes..
If you want to learn about how to map with hammer, it is very very easy...

go to google, type in something like "half life 2 hammer tutorials" and look for sites with tutorials in them...nearly every tutorial site has instructions on all you really need to know in hammer.

I was making a concept map for a mod i plan on doing (zombie mod) in the future, and well...it's now an actual map rather than just a concept...and it's looking rather good at the moment. I'll try and get pics of it when it's done.
PMEmail Poster
Mic2070
Posted: April 25, 2006 03:19 pm
Quote Post

Doom Trooper

Youy were mapping on JETPACK ? That old game ? I remember it. Wow that's old.

--------------------
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterAOL
MadMax_FMM
Posted: April 25, 2006 03:24 pm
Quote Post

Overlord!
Group Icon

Group: IronOak Leaders

Hehe... i started with mapping for "Sokoban"... and hell.. that's old. biggrin.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

--------------------
>> "Sie bildeten junge Männer aus Bomben auf ihre Häuser zu werfen; aber sie verboten ihnen das Wort FUCK auf ihre Maschinen zu schreiben... weil es obszön ist. - FREI ZITIERT NACH F.F.COPPOLAS APOCALYPSE NOW" <<

Leader Staff - IronOak Studios:
"PERSONAL ONLINE PORTFOLIO" http://www.ironoak.ch/MM
"PE - THE DARK FUTURE" http://www.ironoak.ch/PE
"BRAINBREAD - MUNDUS VULT DECIPI" http://www.ironoak.ch/BB
Natace
Posted: April 25, 2006 03:26 pm
Quote Post

Experienced Killer

QUOTE (Mic2070 @ Apr 25 2006, 03:19 PM)
Youy were mapping on JETPACK ? That old game ? I remember it. Wow that's old.

to be honest...i still have the game here on my computer, and i still play around with it biggrin.gif tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster
MadMax_FMM
Posted: April 25, 2006 03:28 pm
Quote Post

Overlord!
Group Icon

Group: IronOak Leaders

Yes... because it's a great game. wink.gif

btw.: Take a look at this nice site:

www.abandonia.com

I suppose that you all already know it... in that case nevermind.

--------------------
>> "Sie bildeten junge Männer aus Bomben auf ihre Häuser zu werfen; aber sie verboten ihnen das Wort FUCK auf ihre Maschinen zu schreiben... weil es obszön ist. - FREI ZITIERT NACH F.F.COPPOLAS APOCALYPSE NOW" <<

Leader Staff - IronOak Studios:
"PERSONAL ONLINE PORTFOLIO" http://www.ironoak.ch/MM
"PE - THE DARK FUTURE" http://www.ironoak.ch/PE
"BRAINBREAD - MUNDUS VULT DECIPI" http://www.ironoak.ch/BB
Blue Summer
Posted: April 25, 2006 05:17 pm
Quote Post

Firefox

QUOTE (MadMax_FMM @ Apr 25 2006, 03:28 PM)
Yes... because it's a great game. wink.gif

btw.: Take a look at this nice site:

www.abandonia.com

I suppose that you all already know it... in that case nevermind.

I read a good article in my PCFormat magazine about Abandonware, technically it is illegal to use because the copyrights on games last 70years but most people do it and they dont close down abandonware sites becasue the companies have disbanded ohmy.gif.

Sokoban lmfao, classic game. There was a map editor? Zomg.

Btw Max, any chance you could translate your signature, i'm curious what quote from Apoc Now it is tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Blue Summer on April 25, 2006 05:18 pm

--------------------
This is what Ive said for the past couple months every time has requested source: BB source is highly unlikely because the mod team (Ironoak) has decided to use the crystal engine to create an rpg, although they have said there is a small chance of going to source but please, for the sake of all mankind, do not request a port and/or create polls, or even useless threads about the porting of BB, because it is most likely not going to happen, thank you for reading.

WSAENOTSOCK
PMEmail Poster
Mic2070
Posted: April 25, 2006 05:50 pm
Quote Post

Doom Trooper

Translated a bit with google, and I think it means :

"They teached young men to throw bombs on houses; but they forbade them to write the word FUCK on their machines... because it's obscene"

--------------------
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterAOL
hunter
Posted: April 25, 2006 05:56 pm
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

The best quote is: " I LOVE THE SMELL OF NAPALM IN THE MORNING!", Or " CHARLIE DONT SURF!"

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Blue Summer
Posted: April 25, 2006 07:00 pm
Quote Post

Firefox

Lmfao yes: inane quote :

Kurtz: I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.

Bring out the FGD tongue.gif

--------------------
This is what Ive said for the past couple months every time has requested source: BB source is highly unlikely because the mod team (Ironoak) has decided to use the crystal engine to create an rpg, although they have said there is a small chance of going to source but please, for the sake of all mankind, do not request a port and/or create polls, or even useless threads about the porting of BB, because it is most likely not going to happen, thank you for reading.

WSAENOTSOCK
PMEmail Poster
hunter
Posted: April 25, 2006 07:01 pm
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

Full metal jacket quotes omg! "Damn i like you pyle, you can come other to my house and fuck my sister!" "I WILL UNSCREW YOUR HEAD AND SHIT DOWN YOUR NECK!"

This post has been edited by hunter on April 25, 2006 07:05 pm

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Pages: 12
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll