Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> bb_derelict_lab, New map
Shoot_me
Posted: March 11, 2009 06:41 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Group: Members

Map is compiled. Once I get back from work I'll run through it a couple of times and if all is well, I'll be posting a download link here soon. ph34r.gif

--------------------

Still mapping away!!
PMUsers Website
Shoot_me
Posted: March 12, 2009 11:06 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.aybnetwork.com/BB_DLab_ALPHA110309.zip

I can't stress enough that this is a very EARLY version of the map. I've got to add all the missions, redo most of the zombie spawns, weapon spawns, ammo spawns, etc. Some sound effects and such are included in this version, but many more will be added later on (getting an ent count together right now).

I'd really like input on mission ideas, possible problem areas, ent placement, well, really, the sky is the limit.

All the spawns needed to run at least a 16 plyr (though, I might have 32 spawns) game are there, it's just... an early version of the map.

That said, enjoy!

--------------------

Still mapping away!!
PMUsers Website
Shoot_me
Posted: March 16, 2009 01:35 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Is the map THAT bad?! blink.gif

--------------------

Still mapping away!!
PMUsers Website
Security Corporate
Posted: March 16, 2009 09:39 am
Quote Post

Gore God of Massacre

Group: Old BB:S Betatesters

Oh, sorry. I don't think anyone's tried it yet. Some of the servers that woulda picked it up quickly are still down I think. It's a big map that's better with friends, but I'll give it a shot. Give me the week and I'll post up a review like I did last time. happy.gif
PM
Shoot_me
Posted: March 18, 2009 10:43 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Much appreciated. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Still mapping away!!
PMUsers Website
Security Corporate
Posted: March 21, 2009 02:37 am
Quote Post

Gore God of Massacre

Can anyone here host a server or something? I'd like to test this map with a friend or two. Mallic, think you and I can meet up somewhere and set up a LAN game for this? Anything will do at this point. This map overwhelms my lonesome self.
PM
Shoot_me
Posted: March 22, 2009 04:07 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Needs more medpacks?

--------------------

Still mapping away!!
PMUsers Website
mallic
Posted: March 22, 2009 07:34 pm
Quote Post

Penguin Overlord

Group: BB:S Team

we could meet at your house if you can arrange a ride ari.

--------------------
User Posted Image
I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me
PMEmail Poster
Security Corporate
Posted: March 26, 2009 12:49 am
Quote Post

Gore God of Massacre

QUOTE (mallic @ March 22, 2009 11:34 am)
we could meet at your house if you can arrange a ride ari.

That's not going to work out anytime soon. Anyway shoot_me, I apologize for not getting to this sooner. I've been bogged down with scholarship research and crap. I've already began testing though, and as with all your maps, I'm having a blast. I will post a full fledged review (with some pics) on Saturday.
PM
Shoot_me
Posted: March 26, 2009 04:31 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

No rush.

EDIT: been using this time to map some rooms in NS... I wonder if the IronOak team would do a zombies in space version of BB2s!! I could use the sci-fi theme again! tongue.gif

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/yarr...ESCIFIAHHHH.jpg

This post has been edited by Shoot_me on March 26, 2009 07:56 am

--------------------

Still mapping away!!
PMUsers Website
Security Corporate
  Posted: March 29, 2009 11:30 am
Quote Post

Gore God of Massacre

Derelict Review

user posted image

Those are pretty damn imposing blast doors Shoot_me. Well, I'm happy to be met with soldiers instead of zombies hordes, so who am I to complain?

Before I continue, I just want to say anything I say that you probably already know is said because my obsessive compulsive disorder won't let me do otherwise. Please don't take it as insult or anything.

Let me start with praise. This map, as with all your maps, is an architectural masterpiece. Other than the map just plain looking brilliant, it took me three go arounds (as the time limit is capped under 20 minutes) to explore all the niches of the large underground lab, and I'm pretty sure I missed something. I got lost plenty of times too, and with the zombies sprawling in every corner, getting lost sucked. And the zombies! In the tight hallways of the labs, the many zombies are quite the challenge. There's few safe places, and some of those places can still be overrun if you're not careful. And with all the different sections and varied hallways and rooms there is PLENTY of room for a plethora of objectives, but I will get to that later. The lack of sound is sort of good thing by the way, as the map is supposed to have a "derelict" feel to it.

Now it's sort of ironic for me to say this, but the scale of the map (although very large) could still be expanded a bit. There are plenty of locked doors littered all over the place and if possible, add some areas that either connect to the more mission important areas or are just dead end (but aesthetically interesting). It would add some easy confusion for players and make them actually think in navigation.

The map is already very open ended, but adding even more of that will give that unsettled but curious feeling in your stomach like the kind many people had in Black Mesa.

Of course, this map is only an alpha, so it has some quirks. I'm going to address them, in case they are not on purpose. For example...

user posted image

I found this dork hiding in the dark in the bottom of a broken elevator shaft. Seriously, what's his story? Although I found his simply being there as comic relief (I was in a frenzy, and it didn't help that I missed the jump from the ladder to the busted elevator).

Hehe. My ventures into the derelict facility were cut short by them a few times up to this point, so I was a hot blooded:

user posted image

The big fence that blocks off that one wing on the left side, if you go around the lab in order to get behind the fence, it is invisible like this:

user posted image

That was the only major mapping error I've come across, but it's all good after that.

Moving on to the "story" aspect of the map, which I've been obsessing over. Now according to the following pictures, I'm guessing Umbrella has something to do with it. And a security guard. Well, the ONLY security guard. His buddies must have died during the outbreak.

user posted image

A possible storyline I can see happening is, since the players start on the surface, is that the players could be an elite team sent by the government or whatnot into the Umbrella like facility and shut down the entire place. A small contigent of marines have been sent in as support as well.

Now you're right, the sky is pretty much the limit on the objectives that could be done here. There should be primary and secondary objectives. Primary objectives could consist of shutting down (and maybe destroying) the labs by overloading the power generators (which itself can be a series of objectives), causing a massive explosion that could bury the entire complex. And the secondary objectives can be almost anything, from extracting certain data, destroying other research information, or killing as many zombies as possible. In the deepest levels of the complex, I found the compartment sealing Fred in, so that is obviously a side objective.

The biggest (and only) issue I've had with your maps is the time limit however. I know the server doesn't control it, as I set the time to 60 minutes but still only had like 17 minutes. Assuming the time limit is map based, there has to be more minutes (like 25 or 30) to accomplish anything. It already takes me 5-10 minutes to get from one end to the map to what I believe is the other end of the map. And that's running passed and dodging everything as fast as I can with 34 speed.

Additionally, weapon spawns just need a bit of polishing. The minigun and flamethrower placements I think should be kept to one each, and in more hidden areas. Players should fight in order to earn better weapons. Surface weapons should be kept to basic levels, with the deeper the player goes, the better the weapons get. Gives a little more incentive. Although the medkit areas are few, you made sure to put lots of medkits in those areas, which pretty much makes up for it.

Regarding player spawns, there can be an issue with players always starting on the surface. Starting over so far away can be pretty agonizing, especially in massive maps such as this. This makes an already constrained time limit even worse. On the other hand, it could provide a much bigger challenge to an experienced player. I suggest some sort of halfway point. Once that point is made, spawns should be moved there. Either that, or a shortcut from the surface spawn to a spawn in the facility (via broken ventilation shaft or something).

Overall, this map is yet another outstanding addition to your collective of maps Shoot_me. I'm looking forward to future releases. It's sad that there aren't many players out in the world of Brainbread able to appreciate it though. Once the asd2bam server is back up and running, I'll talk to the server owner about using the map.

Before I go, I leave you all a lesson to be learned when leaning over a ledge to look at something cool:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PM
mallic
Posted: April 01, 2009 09:12 am
Quote Post

Penguin Overlord

Group: BB:S Team

noob for falling in

--------------------
User Posted Image
I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me
PMEmail Poster
Shoot_me
Posted: April 13, 2009 10:21 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

First things first. I've finally got the HTPC set up to compile BB maps, which on a test run is MUCH faster when using the HTPC's Quad-core versus my main PC's single-core... eh. tongue.gif

I'm currently working on the missions right now, got 3 running at the moment, though, it'll take some time as I am trying to add in some "extra" missions that can be enabled/disabled as well as alternate missions to add to some diversity in the map.

I'm also going to try to add some "dead end" pathways in too, but it all depends on how close I am to the compiler limitations on this map. (I'm already fairly close).

The marine hiding at the base of the elevator shaft was placed there in case a player happened to fall down the elevator shaft and survive... while being zombiefied or while already a zombie. That way the player can earn kills to respawn as a human or just get killed by the marine (esp. if the /kill cmd is disabled on the server... can't remember if this is/can be done in BB).

The (literally) one sided fence, well, it's not so much a glitch as it's an area that you're not suppose to reach.. When converting the map from RE:CB to BB, I had to remove the door as RE:CB ents were a little different (diff args). I'll add an impassable door blocking that area off in future version of the map... ph34r.gif

When it comes to the map time limit... last time I looked, there was no way to change this via ents pre-compile. I think it's a server var, so I unless I hear or find out otherwise, I'm going to attempt to make this map 20min time limit friendly... I hope.

I'll address the weapon spawn points. I'll probably start off with pistols and one or two semi-auto weapons at the spawn, any work it up to rifles and fully automatic weapons by the halfway point.

Speaking of the halfway points, I'm going to try to use a "checkpoint" in this map in the form of a teleport func. Once you complete a certain mission (probably the one in the tunnel section after the 1st elevator shaft) I'll have a teleport func. appear near the spawn so that you can skip a good deal of the map if you die and respawn.

Heh.. now if only I could get a hold of the fire-death sound from Marathon Infinity, that angonizing scream would be a great sound to use for those who belly-flop onto the floor of the laser room. LOL.

--------------------

Still mapping away!!
PMUsers Website
Security Corporate
Posted: April 14, 2009 01:00 am
Quote Post

Gore God of Massacre

QUOTE (Shoot_me @ April 13, 2009 02:21 am)
Heh.. now if only I could get a hold of the fire-death sound from Marathon Infinity, that angonizing scream would be a great sound to use for those who belly-flop onto the floor of the laser room. LOL.

Hey now, I just had a slight lapse of coordination ok? It happens to everybody. xD
PM
Shoot_me
Posted: April 14, 2009 06:01 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Going to reduce zombie spawn points when missions complete. Can be changed by editing the tsk file though. I'll have 2 or 3 that spawn zombies regardless.

EDIT: New build coming soon. Compile times on the new PC take a FRACTION of the time needed on my older PC! Added 4 new missions (to halfway point) and the checkpoint is working... though may need a warning sign... (insert evil laugh here).

This post has been edited by Shoot_me on April 14, 2009 07:51 am

--------------------

Still mapping away!!
PMUsers Website
Pages: 1234>»»
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll