Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Accomodations For STEAM
Zaskar
Posted: July 29, 2004 07:54 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Group: Members (old PE Betatesters)

Heya, just wondering if ther are any plans in the next release (or have been since 1.2) to make it slightly more Steam friendly.

I know the mod is pretty much a done deal, but it seems there is a small point release of 1.4 planned.

Since normal HL is pretty much dead, Steam is the standard now, and will be for HL 2 (and all mods from HL1 using HL2's Steam)

The Main Menu where you pick the options/Online games/Lan games and such, any plans on just making a Steam based one since the cool 640by480 normal HL one cant be viewed on steam (usses the default HL one instead like most old mods)

Many mods that have continued support have made new menu screens to accomodate Steam. That way half the cool feel about starting PE up can be seen again in the background/menu fonts and menu option sounds.

Easiest way is to take the old graphic background, and the best frame of the banner movie file and combine them and enlarge it to the propper size of the Steam one tongue.gif

I mentioned this also in the suggestion thread but just thought id make a more detailed thread about it here tongue.gif

(btw also rename the pldecal.wad to tempdecal.wad for steam usses that one and ignores the pldecal.wad now biggrin.gif )

If this is done alwready in a 1.3 or planned for 1.4's mini tweek patch then smack me tongue.gif

I jsut really wanted to have PE's old Menu back, it was just so friggen cool, every time u hit console u saw part of it also, it was awsome biggrin.gif To have the menu background/sounds/fonts and background music back in the menu would be great biggrin.gif

(Making it Steam customized and Labled as Final will prob get PHL to take a better look at it too, i acually dont rember the last time they did a MOTW on a beta classed mod smile.gif )

-Zaskar
PMEmail Poster
MadMax_FMM
Posted: July 29, 2004 08:19 pm
Quote Post

Overlord!
Group Icon

Group: IronOak Leaders

Greetings and welcome again, Zaskar!

*smacks you* biggrin.gif

The new patch will optimize PE especially for Steam. To say it in other words: We don´t know if you´ll still be able to run PE under normal HL again... it will be a pure steam-mod. biggrin.gif Of course we won´t change such things as the style of the menus or the music. We´ll add new effects like detail-textures or the tron-glow (both effects optional). There´ll be also bots and we include better damagetypes (you can select either "realistical damage" or "action damage")... oh yes... and i´ve created a whole new map. ^^

The patch is at 90% done, so we´ll start a big PR-Offensive in some days.

--------------------
>> "Sie bildeten junge Männer aus Bomben auf ihre Häuser zu werfen; aber sie verboten ihnen das Wort FUCK auf ihre Maschinen zu schreiben... weil es obszön ist. - FREI ZITIERT NACH F.F.COPPOLAS APOCALYPSE NOW" <<

Leader Staff - IronOak Studios:
"PERSONAL ONLINE PORTFOLIO" http://www.ironoak.ch/MM
"PE - THE DARK FUTURE" http://www.ironoak.ch/PE
"BRAINBREAD - MUNDUS VULT DECIPI" http://www.ironoak.ch/BB
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
Zaskar
Posted: July 29, 2004 08:30 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Thanks Max smile.gif and thats great to hear man biggrin.gif

When you say u wont change styles of the menus and music you mean from the oprigonal or from the Default HL one? (i assume u mean from the origonal smile.gif )

Oh amn, and if u guys make the ingame fronts to the origonal that would be awsome too biggrin.gif just alter the trackerscheme.res and have the installer install the windows font you used to generate the bmp fonts for the origona,. So that stupid generic Steam font isnt used ><

Oh man i cant wait to play this again smile.gif
Im gonna re setup my non used server again and get a Server for this and maby another mod or 2 running smile.gif not to decide to run linux or Windows this time :/

-Zaskar

PMEmail Poster
Zpin
Posted: July 30, 2004 05:49 pm
Quote Post

Einherjar
Group Icon

Group: IronOak Leader (Admin)

I think he meant the equipment menu in pe and he's not quite right, we'll make a new font for that, but a rather normal one like Arial or so. The main reason is that the HL font we used in 1.2 is not antialiased and it will look better with the new one.

You meant the ingame font used when someone says something, right? But what do you mean by "the original font"? The chinese like font is too cryptic I think wink.gif

--------------------
The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. - Ecclesiastes IX. 11.
---
The fool speaks, the wise man listens. - unknown
PMUsers Website
Zaskar
Posted: July 30, 2004 07:07 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

biggrin.gif Man its hard to even rember what was used normally, been a while since i played PE on a normal HL and not steam ><

Pretty muchy all i was talking about was the fonts used when you say something, and if changable, the fonts used in the menu select (like when u just load up PE and u can select options, online games, updates.. etc, that was the one that used the cool Chinees looking font and sounds when clicked biggrin.gif ) The ingame font doesnt matter, as long as its changed from that basic bulky ugly default font biggrin.gif (why they diddnt pick a better front for steam by default im not shure tongue.gif )

-Zaskar
PMEmail Poster
Zpin
Posted: July 30, 2004 09:23 pm
Quote Post

Einherjar
Group Icon

ok, these are changeable but I doubt that we'll do so (except for the equipment menu font I mentioned).

--------------------
The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. - Ecclesiastes IX. 11.
---
PMUsers Website
Zaskar
Posted: July 31, 2004 03:48 am
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

If you guys werent planning on making a new steam based background, i just threw one together from the original bmp and avi file and adapted it to the weird ass steam system tongue.gif

http://img40.exs.cx/img40/6329/Background2.jpg 1280x1024 (the origonal was 640x480, and steam seems to only allow a base pic of 800x600 then expands them as it sees fit, so u really cant get anything good res in there it seems)

Im usin it now for PE. If this is of any intrest to anyone i can host the 12 png (yea, 1 background requires 12 pics, gotta love steam for making things simple >< ) files somewhere smile.gif

-Krause (Zaskar)

PMEmail Poster
Zpin
Posted: July 31, 2004 12:38 pm
Quote Post

Einherjar
Group Icon

thanks wink.gif scotty allready made a new bg, I'll post a screenshot of it as soon as our ftp works again

--------------------
---
PMUsers Website
Zaskar
Posted: July 31, 2004 04:05 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

awsome biggrin.gif

cant wait to see it biggrin.gif hope its not as pixilated as the one i converted ><

-Krause

PMEmail Poster
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll