[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Trying to fix STARTUP SCREEN CRASH, and I need your help
Zpin
  Posted: November 30, 2004 09:10 pm
Quote Post

Einherjar
Group Icon

Group: IronOak Leader (Admin)

As this bug only appears on a small number of system please report everything about it here.

Also a few steps which could probably solve it:
- try replacing brainbread\eqsave.dll with this version: http://www.ironoak.ch/BB/files/eqsave.dll

- If it still doesn't work replace brainbread\user.scr with version: http://www.ironoak.ch/BB/files/user.scr

- If the problem persists you'll have to wait for the patch or download the new client.dll here: http://www.ironoak.ch/BB/files/client.dll . Warning: You won't be able to join any server with this client.dll.

--------------------
The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. - Ecclesiastes IX. 11.
---
The fool speaks, the wise man listens. - unknown
PMUsers Website
TSS
Posted: November 30, 2004 09:22 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

Group: Members

theres 2 seperate bugs as far as i know: background music bug, where the background music plays but then the game chrashes, and where you get to the menu, hover your pointers over the links. im the victem of the first one.

eqsave: nothing. user.scr: nothing. client.dll: works. game runs perfectly.

as far as my knowledge goes, its a loop somewhere. at taskmanager it still says constant high cpu usage, never below 90%. memory used = about 50 megs, with a additional 29 for steam. steam however doesnt use any cpu at all, if so very little.

the odd thing though, with that other client.dll, everything loads up, but the music doesnt start playing after about 5 seconds AFTER the whole menu's loaded.

my 2 cents imo.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
MtG
Posted: December 01, 2004 11:33 pm
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis
Group Icon

Group: BB Betatesters

There's another one... but this might be the one you're talking about.

When you're on a server, or not sometimes, when you click on the commmand "Quit Game", it quits out of servers and everything, but then it fails to shutdown, and the computer... kind of freezes... but in a way it doesn't. The program thinks it's shut itself off, and the Brainbread mod screen continues to show, while it's still possible to do other commands... but nothing works because mod thinks it's quit... but it's still displaying.

Alt+F4 doesn't work... because supposedly no application in running, and ctrl+alt+delete doesn't work because you can't see the task manager system doesn't work, and the only way to get out of it is to manually reboot, or shutoff the power source to the computer.

It does this for me every other time, even when I've exited every application like MSN messenger, juke box, norton, password manager, and everything...

I'll download those when I get onto my home computer...
But this is a serious glitch.

Also...
I've never had this happen with any other mod... and I've counted and I have like 35, or 37. like 25 or something third party mods... none of them do this.

--------------------
Ich werde dich toeten.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
WillZ
Posted: December 02, 2004 12:11 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

I have a start up crash problem it says it cant read from the hl.exe is there a away to fix it or do u want all the little numbers it gives me, it happens when i try to connect to any server i get as far as parsing game info

WillZ

--------------------
Raziel: "Wiped from this world like **** from a boot... tbh"

PMEmail Poster
MtG
Posted: December 02, 2004 08:20 pm
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis
Group Icon

Group: BB Betatesters

I'd uninstall the brainbread mod, and then reinstall in because you probably got a file corruption while downloading it...

--------------------
Ich werde dich toeten.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
stiaan
Posted: December 03, 2004 12:18 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

This is crap.

For months I've been after a decent Zombie game. Some genius finally makes one for my favourite FPS - Half-Life for which I've made maps and skins a plenty.

Yippee says I and downloads the mod called BrainBread.

Then I find it needs the bug ridden corpse that is Steam. I install it anyway, desperate to wipe out the walking dead with my friends. Does the mod run? No.

No maps on a LAN game. No nothing.

Why would you bring out a fantastic mod and make it depend on the abyssmal failure that is Steam?

Surely there's a way to make the mod run without Steam?... A.dll lfile or some such?

I know there are some fans of Steam and that's fine but could the inspired minds that made up BrainBread please release a patch or alternate version that doesn't require Steam?

Thanks for your time.

Stiaan
PMEmail Poster
Zpin
Posted: December 03, 2004 01:33 pm
Quote Post

Einherjar
Group Icon

Group: IronOak Leader (Admin)

No maps on a LAN game. No nothing.
Sounds like you downloaded the server version... Fileplanet postet the wrong file so if you got it from there you downloaded the wrong file.

--------------------
The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. - Ecclesiastes IX. 11.
---
The fool speaks, the wise man listens. - unknown
PMUsers Website
TSS
Posted: December 03, 2004 03:37 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

QUOTE (stiaan @ Dec 3 2004, 11:18 AM)
I know there are some fans of Steam and that's fine but could the inspired minds that made up BrainBread please release a patch or alternate version that doesn't require Steam?

won is dead. let it go.....
WillZ
Posted: December 03, 2004 06:27 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

i tried a reinstall and a redownload and still nothing same error some people get it with cs and other hl mods i have enough ram now (512) and all other mods are ok will this be fixed in the patch? i tried the files above and that just made it crash to a blank screen

WillZ

P.S IM NOT GIVING UP

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
TSS
Posted: December 04, 2004 01:26 am
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

post your system specifications and spin will do his best to fix it smile.gif

also, have you run HL once, just started up a training room game, before trying to run brainbread? just to make sure it has all the files it needs?
stiaan
  Posted: December 04, 2004 03:45 am
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

I too am going to perservere and download Steam again.

Gonna make sure I've got the client version.

Damnit - I'm only doing this because I'm desperate to plug the Undead and make a few maps of my own.

I'm going in - wish me luck...

ohmy.gif
PMEmail Poster
WillZ
  Posted: December 05, 2004 07:00 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Well i posted my specs on another page but my ram is now 512mb and i even increase my virtual memory up to 4069mb and still the same error i have loaded the training room once but as soon as i was in a left maybe i should load a deeper map into the game? anyway this problem doesnt seem to be just me, http://steampowered.com/forums/search.php?...rder=descending ,many people have it with counter-strike and even hl2 what ever it is its a massive bug and im going to play this dam mod one way or another anyway from what i have seen gr8 mod.

WillZ

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
Bluehawk
Posted: December 05, 2004 08:42 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

I installed all those files you posted Spin, and I still crash when starting up the mod.

' The intruction at "0x717d4704" referenced memory at "0x0efc049c". The memory could not be "read". '

I have
WinXP Pro with sp2
ATI Radeon 9200
512mb Ram
Soundblaster 16
DirectX 9.0c

and all other hl mods work for me except BB.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
WillZ
Posted: December 06, 2004 05:11 pm
Quote Post

Just another Survivor

Bluehawk i get the exact erro with the same numbers and all, its a hudge steam problem i think go to steam forums and search memory read error or click the link i posted above, i cant find a way of fixing it either but there are some solution there such as increasing your virtual memory but i have tried all solutions on that link to no avail :/

WillZ

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
TSS
Posted: December 06, 2004 07:26 pm
Quote Post

Last hope of Mankind

its been posted on the main page that the start up screen bug has been fixed in the next patch.

those bugs you guys post about, those memory problems, are other bugs. or problems with your memory.

ill leave the posts be but in the future, make new threads about those problems.
Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll