Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Posting this on mutli forums need help
mrmicky
Posted: December 26, 2010 12:47 am
Quote Post

The Pwnerer

Group: BB:S Team

Hi, my problem sounds simple but has turned out to be quite complex. I have slow internet speeds (2mbps), I live in Great Clacton, Essex.

This is my Local exchange: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EACLN

I live about 2.25miles away from the exchange (as the crow flies), now I know this is reasonably far. I have a Netgear standard router (have experienced same issues with a standard g-mimo Belkin also.

I am with Tiscali(TalkTalk now?) 8mb unlimited internet. I'm not sure how exactly distance - mbps is calcuated loss per mile? for example if you're 1mile away you lose X amount of speed mbps.

I have checked all the Physical connection, meaning trying out different Filters and using the master socket with every external device unplugged.

The results are always a slow lower then 3mbps connection.

MY QUESTION
Am I basically doing something extremly wrong with my internet to get this speed? Or am I just stuck with it becuase I unfortunatly live 2.25 miles away from my local exchange? If so sad.gif are there any possibilites? Becuase I do alot of web based projects and a slow download speed can be taxing.

Thank you for any help you're able to give to me, Mrmicky.

--------------------
User Posted Image

Lightsaver the energy efficient Lightsabre
PMEmail Poster
hunter
Posted: March 24, 2011 06:27 pm
Quote Post

Fantasma Cazador

Group: Old BB:S Betatesters

YOU ARE DOING NOTHING WRONG! Ive been thinking this for a while on uk talktalk myself, advertised as upto 20mb my download speed realistically is 700kbps thats fking poor imo. The only thing you can do is look into possible fibre optic installations near your house to be able to upgrade your service to a better speed

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll