Powered by Invision Power Board [ Resend Validation Email ]
Welcome Guest [ Log In · Register ]
Forum Rules HelpSearchMembersCalendar

Pages: 12  [ Go to first unread post ]
Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll
[ Track this topic · Email this topic · Print this topic ]
> Mod not going anywhere without a coder!
The Maddog
Posted: February 15, 2011 08:37 pm
Quote Post

Zombie Hunter

Group: Members

Without a coder the mod is not going anywhere. We do not have a coder that his willing to get his ass online and to play a role within the team. No offence Aker but it fustrates me that you can apply to join the team and not come online....

We have the original sourcecode and the working mod. The mod is unstable, it crashes a lot and the maps do not work half the time. It can only be run in a certain resolution, we need a coder that WILL be active and will come online to help out.

If you know anyone that can code in the source engine let me know, we need you more than you know.

This post has been edited by The Maddog on February 15, 2011 08:38 pm

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
FirehawkBBs
Posted: February 15, 2011 08:43 pm
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis

Group: BB:S Team

I agre with this, also i think we should delete all the current maps (keep one map as a test map) the current maps aren't much soo we can delete it, and then add our own maps.

and our main thing.... A CODER!!

--------------------
User Posted Image
IronOakStudios deserves a new forum :)
PMEmail Poster
Aker
Posted: February 26, 2011 04:45 am
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

*Statement that Aker was away for a week as was apparently previously stated to the OP. Unnecessary elements removed.*

This post has been edited by Keyes on February 26, 2011 12:11 pm

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Keyes
Posted: February 26, 2011 07:57 am
Quote Post

I'm On A Boat

Group: Moderators

Curb the hostility, people. There's no need to get aggressive.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
Neiko
Posted: February 26, 2011 09:10 am
Quote Post

Uberzernichter

That was out of the blue, and a little unnecessary

--------------------
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
Keyes
Posted: February 26, 2011 12:12 pm
Quote Post

I'm On A Boat

QUOTE (Neiko @ February 26, 2011 09:10 am)
That was out of the blue, and a little unnecessary

Quite. Hence why I removed it. People, feel free to message me if you want to know what was actually said.

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
ghast
Posted: February 26, 2011 05:57 pm
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

Alright well to whoever your coder is, heres a little thing they can follow. I would also start fresh with an hl2mp base if the code is that buggy.

I didn't play brainbread much and I haven't coded in a year or two, but from what I can remember heres what you need to do....

Everything basically revolves around making a new gamemode (Copy the existing class and edit, have the gamemode be a console var for now) or two, whatever you want. If remember there was a survive gamemode and an escape gamemode?

It doesn't matter. As far as escape gamemode you need to make a new trigger and all that it does is either end the current round (There should be a built in func. for that), alternatively you could display a message and simply move to the nextmap or restart the map. The triggers can be a bit bitchy to get up and running. Same with ending the gamemode. Theres like some freeze or delay thing between the restarts.... It's a little buggy but to get the basics done isn't too hard.

The triggers will crash the game as soon as you step in them if they don't like something in the code though, fyi.

You could have an input so you could turn the escape trigger on and off.

------

For NPC's you need to remove the AI Schedules that allow it to move/investigate ambient sounds and crap like that so they won't wander off to the middle of nowhere, or create a function that checks where it wants to move against a certain radius the mapper could input into the NPC that set the max distance it can walk to.

For turrets theres already a way to make NPC man turrets and fire them already (So you could have a minigun type thing) so that would beup to the mapper. Theres a tutorial on interlopers.net about it.

For a tank I would take the basic HL2 APC (Which can be setup to drive and fire along guided points in hammer) and more or less give it health in the code, and allow it to be damage by RPG's and stuff. After the health is gone just make it disappear for now or something like that.

---------

For the whole shooting things off people, thats the hardest part. For any modelers listening look through the valve wiki, I believe theres a really old never used QC command that allows you to shoot off only certain parts of a model (EX making it kinda destructable) and giving each part of the model it's own health counter. You split up the model and that create an overall version, and a version for each gib, etc.

If not.... I'm trying to remember. If I remember right theres some far out commands you can use to edit bones and stuff directly on the model from code. Like you can technically animate a model solely through programming in VB. When the zombie was hit with a weapon you could check the hitbox it was hit in and you might be able to kinda disable part of the model or a bone or something like that, and then spawn gibs or some particle effect where you disabled it, etc. That would be work though, compared to all the other stuff.

--------

As far as gameplay the coding really isn't hard. Most of the gameplay came from the maps. It's all in triggers and timers in hammer. After X amount of time open gate Y.

If you wanted for something like a survival area, create a placeable, invisible entity (Logic one I guess?) that listens to all the gameevents and have it register each zombie death once it's turned on, and after it hits a threhold inputted by the mapper have it output to something and turn off.

I created a zombie mode with another guy before L4D came out to try and emulate the whole L4D difficultly thing and brain thing. It's actually pretty easy to get a basic thing up that scales the difficultly up and down based on Kill:Death ratios for the total team, and then turning on/off spawn points close to the players in the code, or changing the zombie health. We just made a new logic entity called like logic_brain and it just monitored all the stuff in the game and set I/O to other entities around the map.

Also, logic entites will immeaditealy crash a map if coded wrong because they're there upon startup. maybe they won't if they're not active? In case they'd crash as soon as it turned on.
----------

As far as zombies go, you basically just have to give the knoweledge (Theres like a hammer NPC that you do it with) of where the player is at all times, and if he doesn't know where the player his have him stand still instead of wandering off.

Alternatively, you could just have them to spawn and tell them to move to a certain objective as they'd probably encounter the player on the way.

The zombie code would work more or less fine for now, you just need a new model. You can even keep the same animations.

----------

Weapons are easy, just replace models for now. You have more or less a base in all of the existing weapons.
-----------------

Any other question type things?.... It actually scares me that they managed to screw up their code so much that it barely runs. Just copy and paste existing things and edit, don't try and change any engine things that could make it unstable. Get all the gameplay done first.[I]

I would probably say that 70% of the gameplay is the mapping though. Thats what makes everything fun. Mapping + some basic NPC guards + a shitload of kinda lower poly zombies with bad AI so you could have tooonnnnsssss of them swarming. Make the bodies fade too that will cut out most of the lag.

If you guys have the old finished BB:S models and they were compiled or compile ready you could do alot to create an Alpha in a short amount of time.

Add me on steam at ghost12332 if you need any knoweledge on how to go around n do stuff. I'm not really interested in starting to code again but if you have general questions I can give you general answers on how to go about getting something implemented. My speciality's the AI system, I wrote alot of the wiki articles on the NPC/Scheduley stuff.

This post has been edited by ghast on February 26, 2011 06:30 pm
PMEmail Poster
mallic
Posted: February 26, 2011 10:22 pm
Quote Post

Penguin Overlord

Could those that have never played the original BB not suggest shit? Seriously we want a new version of the same game not something completely different.

--------------------
User Posted Image
I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me
PMEmail Poster
DavidRoxZoRs
Posted: February 26, 2011 10:42 pm
Quote Post

Doom Trooper

Could you not be a total asshole? Atleast he's being helpful.

--------------------
-=U.N.C.L.E=- David
User Posted Image
PMEmail PosterAOL
Neiko
Posted: February 26, 2011 11:36 pm
Quote Post

Uberzernichter

The info he gave seemed mostly helpful and similar to BB. Not sure where you're getting "something completely different" from.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
ghast
Posted: February 27, 2011 01:00 am
Quote Post

Rotten Meat

Everything I suggested was in the original, or was meant to be implemented I believe?

They wanted to implement NPC tanks, guys on minigun turrets (For helicopters I believe) and other stuff. All of the other things I said were already implemented.

I liked the original and have already coded most of the features you wanted here so I merely thought I could help.

You're the one acting like a little kid who didn't get his candy. Be thankful they're trying to restart the mod instead of whining.

This post has been edited by ghast on February 27, 2011 01:12 am
PMEmail Poster
mallic
Posted: February 27, 2011 01:14 am
Quote Post

Penguin Overlord

I was referring to the apc bit.

err oops just realized I read that wrong and totally fucked up the meaning of that. Anywho, sorry for the confusion and I need to stop reading the forums while drunk (which I still currently am >_>) I fail. And yes david I am an asshole, get over it.

This post has been edited by mallic on February 27, 2011 01:16 am

--------------------
User Posted Image
Slip away, to fade away
Touching me, changing me
PMEmail Poster
Keyes
Posted: February 27, 2011 03:42 am
Quote Post

I'm On A Boat

I'm hoping that people will cease to be unnecessarily hostile towards one another. mallic, I'm glad you apologised, but I'll say now, inebriation is not a defence for being needlessly aggressive - so, please, consider what you say before you do so. ghast, you've put forward some good ideas, and I reckon it would be good to consider the mod from a less conservative standpoint and implement new features like what you suggested - after all, the Source engine can accomplish far more than what the HL1 engine could.

In the meantime, this thread has seen enough hostility, and I can't be bothered to go through people's posts to make them full of sunshine and rainbows. So let's be nice to one another, okay? BB:S is something that many of us - especially the vets - have been looking forward to for a very long time. Hell, it's been a long time (what, two years? Maybe more?) that the previous team disbanded/gave up/whatever happened, yet many of us still stayed. While I may not be part of the development team, I know the importance of people getting along with one another and how that plays out in a team-based project. So let's all be civil to one another, aye?

EDIT: And by putting "sunshine and rainbows" into posts I mean removing the profanity and putting forward the message that the poster was (hopefully) trying to get across.

This post has been edited by Keyes on February 27, 2011 03:52 am

--------------------
User Posted Image
PMEmail Poster
FirehawkBBs
Posted: February 27, 2011 11:27 am
Quote Post

Real zombie Nemesis

I had some good ideas thought... but i've forgotten them. ohmy.gif

P.S: useless post unsure.gif

This post has been edited by FirehawkBBs on February 27, 2011 11:27 am

--------------------
User Posted Image
IronOakStudios deserves a new forum :)
PMEmail Poster
mallic
Posted: February 27, 2011 07:04 pm
Quote Post

Penguin Overlord

QUOTE (Keyes @ February 26, 2011 07:42 pm)
I'm hoping that people will cease to be unnecessarily hostile towards one another. mallic, I'm glad you apologised, but I'll say now, inebriation is not a defence for being needlessly aggressive - so, please, consider what you say before you do so. ghast, you've put forward some good ideas, and I reckon it would be good to consider the mod from a less conservative standpoint and implement new features like what you suggested - after all, the Source engine can accomplish far more than what the HL1 engine could.

In the meantime, this thread has seen enough hostility, and I can't be bothered to go through people's posts to make them full of sunshine and rainbows. So let's be nice to one another, okay? BB:S is something that many of us - especially the vets - have been looking forward to for a very long time. Hell, it's been a long time (what, two years? Maybe more?) that the previous team disbanded/gave up/whatever happened, yet many of us still stayed. While I may not be part of the development team, I know the importance of people getting along with one another and how that plays out in a team-based project. So let's all be civil to one another, aye?

EDIT: And by putting "sunshine and rainbows" into posts I mean removing the profanity and putting forward the message that the poster was (hopefully) trying to get across.

I understand getting rid of the arguments and hostility, by why the profanity?

--------------------
User Posted Image
Slip away, to fade away
Touching me, changing me
PMEmail Poster
Pages: 12
Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll